Sonic 4 Episode II (Xbox 360)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » May 19th, 2012, 10:38 am

I finished Sonic 4 Episode II for the Xbox 360 (LIVE) today, has anyone else played it yet? I actually liked Episode I, and I think II has better animations and controls. The game feels a little closer to Sonic Generations, which is a good thing. I only found some of the boss stage a little annoying, but the remakes of classic Sonic stages look great.

Many critics aren't too lyrical about Episode II, but I think it's a pretty decent addition to the Sonic series. (The free extra Metal Sonic levels you get when you also bought Episode I are a nice bonus, but not more than that). What did you guys think about Episode II?

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » May 19th, 2012, 2:33 pm

How are the physics compared to the first episode? Are they the same? 

michaeld1

Postby michaeld1 » May 19th, 2012, 8:12 pm

I think the game's really good and I'm kind of disgusted by the reviews of it I've read.  They basically complain about it on the back of their sudden hatred of Tails and over elements (like Tails getting lost on the screen in local co-op and the slower underwater sections) that were part of the classic Genesis games that they love and want this game to be like, but were never criticized over back in the day.  Seems to me like they're holding the game to the standards of the Genesis games (which is fair), but seem to be arbitrarily changing their definitions of those standards with each new Sonic game they review (which isn't fair).

They also seem to be shortchanging the improved detail in the backgrounds and, especially the physics which allow you to pick up speed much faster and, are not only much better than Episode 1, but far better than the 2D stages in Generations. Seriously, I get a sense of pretty big bias going on in most of the reviews of Episode 2 and I think the game is much better than it's being given credit for.  Guess the critics are too busy evangelizing Diablo 3, despite its significant glitches and unplayability due to the overloaded servers (kind of like the pass they gave to Fallout: New Vegas when Episode 1 hit).    

Captain_Crunch1

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » May 20th, 2012, 10:34 am

[QUOTE=Blueguy]How are the physics compared to the first episode? Are they the same? [/QUOTE]

Just like the graphics, they have been improved. Of course there are some annoying sections in Episode II - as there are in every Sonic game (just replay Sonic 1 on the Genesis). But overall, I really liked the game (as a Sonic fan)..

I agree with michaeld that critics are too harsh on the game. However I don't agree that the physics are 'far better' than in Sonic Generations - I would call them 'just a good' .

Return to “Now Playing”