Nintendo 3DS

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
PSX1

Nintendo 3DS

Postby PSX1 » September 11th, 2013, 2:00 pm

Ok, I know I'm like 5 years behind on the times, but I just finally got a 3DS.  I also picked up Super Mario 3D Land with it, and that's my only game so far.  I remember back when Nintendo first announced this system years ago, I was really excited about the glasses-free 3D technology they were touting with it.  But I have to say now, I think it's nothing more than a gimmick, and a lame gimmick at that.  Sure, it looks cool at first -- for like 5 minutes -- and then the coolness quickly wears off.  Worst of all, when you flip the switch to 2D, you realize how truly lame the 3D is.... it's barely any difference from the 2D.  Oh, sure, the scenary "pops out" a little more, but it's not really that revolutionary of an effect.  In fact, I think the same 3D look of the game could be accomplished with programming effects, without needing the "magic" screen.  All told, I would even go as far as to say that the Virtual Boy actually has a better 3D effect and has a bigger "wow factor" than the 3DS, even to this day.  Now, certainly that doesn't mean that the 3DS is a bad system -- all I'm saying is that I think the 3D effect is lame, and it's nothing more than a glorified and upgraded DS.  I'd be interested to hear if I'm alone on this thought (or if perhaps Super Mario 3D Land is just not a good game for showcasing the system's 3D capabilities).

As for the game itself, I'm enjoying it.  I haven't been a fan of any Mario games since SMW on the SNES, and I was really disappointed with New Super Mario Bros. and other portable Mario games over the past several years, but I'm having fun with this one so far.  I can only play it in bite-sized chunks (2 or 3 levels per day before I get bored), but I can already tell that it will at least hold my interest through til the end.

snakeboy1

Nintendo 3DS

Postby snakeboy1 » September 11th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Well, if you don't like the 3D effect in Super Mario 3D Land, don't get your hopes up for other games.  In my opinion 3D Land has used the effect the best of any game I've played so far. 

As far as the 3D effect in general, I like it.  Not sure what you were expecting, but I didn't go into it thinking it was going to somehow make the games like 10 times better or something.  I actually did think the effect in Mario 3D Land did improve the depth perception a little and made it a tad easier jumping from platform to platform.  And I've found that most games look best to me with the 3D effect set fairly low (though I did like to turn it up a bit for 3D Land).

In the end it's one of those things where everyone's experience will be different.  Some will find it pleasing to the eye while others will find it distracting.  Some will find it adds depth to some games while others will say it's an annoying gimmick.  It's definitely one of those things that won't please everyone.

Sut1

Nintendo 3DS

Postby Sut1 » September 11th, 2013, 2:55 pm

I think your post probably sums up why Nintendo are releasing the 2DS

PSX1

Nintendo 3DS

Postby PSX1 » September 11th, 2013, 4:14 pm

Snakeboy, you make some good points, so let me just clarify what I meant.. First, I do prefer the "3D graphics" of the 3DS over the plain 2D.  Like you, I find it looks best when the switch is set lower, and I like the added depth to the graphics, and I do think it makes the games look nicer.  My point is just that, if you're gonna focus your entire system and hype it around this one feature, I expect more than just looking a little nicer.  The Virtual Boy didn't work out, but at least it delivered a cool effect you can't find anywhere else.  And the DS touch-screen feature was one-of-a-kind and allowed some really special games that no other system could do.  Same with the Wii and it's motion controls.  But what about the 3DS?  You pay a lot of extra money just for slightly better visuals with a little extra "depth" over your traditional 2D graphics.  To me, that is a gimmick rather than a legitimate feature to hype your system around.  Especially because, like I said, I think the 3D effect is so minimal that it can be achieved through programming rather than using an expensive screen.

In fact, I would say that it is more appropriately described as "reverse 3D" rather than 3D.  What I mean is, the graphics don't pop out at you like they do in traditional 3D with glasses -- instead the background pops backward (so to speak) to add an illusion of depth to the graphics.  Like I said, I think that's lame because there are already games that program graphics to have that effect.  So, while I like the 3DS as a gaming console, I'm pretty disappointed with the way it was hyped and marketed by Nintendo, because after all I heard I was expecting something better.  If, on the other hand, they hadn't made the screen sound so great and the 3D feature was just a bonus, then I wouldn't feel disappointed at all.

Captain_Crunch1

Nintendo 3DS

Postby Captain_Crunch1 » September 14th, 2013, 5:58 am

I think the 3D effect on the 3DS is alright, though it takes some time to get used it (in first instance, I hated it). Also I do never slide the 3D slider all the way up, that's just too much... but the 3D effect in Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion 2 and Paper Mario: Sticker Star were okay.

Irenicus1

Nintendo 3DS

Postby Irenicus1 » September 15th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Congrats PSX & congrats to me too cause I just got one too. [biggrin]

I'm playing Fire Emblem (DS version). I'm not all that interested in Mario games anymore, but think I might enjoy playing one again. I want one that really takes advantage of the 3D effects. Suggestions for the best 3D Mario game?

I'm used to the PSP so this is going to take some getting used to. I'm surprised by how much heavier the 3DS is. Of course I have the 3DS XL so I guess I should have expected that. I like the flip screens and realize the need for the 2DS as I can imagine kids and the clumsy breaking the hinges off. I like the two screens and with them flipping on top of each other I'm not as worried about the screens getting scratches. So far the nub seems pretty good, but the d-pad feels too small and do I dare say it...cheap? I've played Tetris in 3D, but I'm not really a 3D fan. I like how the battery is better.   

Return to “Now Playing”