A series of unfourtonate events (Gamecube)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 26th, 2013, 1:00 pm

Wow, according to the piece of paper I found in this games case (I used to make "progress logs" for alot of games) I haven't played this game in 8 years! So I started over, and I must say that it is the most VANILLA platformer I've ever played. I really enjoyed the first 20 minutes of the movie, but after that it just went downhill. The controls and physics leave ALOT to be desired. Your movements are just so unnatural that you feel like your in some freakish planet sometimes. Also, the invention gimmick could have been done so much better. Why not allow players to customize their inventions to the likings of the players? Oh yeah, because it would have taken effort, something the developers strongly LACK! Also, the precision required to defeat enemies is incredibly unforgiving. I think when I'm done here, the game will go back ok the shelf for ANOTHER 8 years.

Astrosmasher1

Postby Astrosmasher1 » February 26th, 2013, 3:17 pm

I had this in my had about 8 years ago to look at it.. then I thought it looked terrible...
so I never bought it.
Now I have read your words I am glad I did not buy it...

steephen1

Postby steephen1 » February 26th, 2013, 5:12 pm

Smart choice. It COULD have been great, if it had taken its' gimmicks and made them work properly, that stilt section is a total BUZZKILL!

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » February 27th, 2013, 12:18 pm

Considering most movie based games are generic at best, I'm not too surprised. It will look even more stale when compared to the solid platformers, released by Nintendo, on the Gamecube... If there is one thing Nintendo excels at, it's platformers. Still, I'm glad I never picked this one up, lol.

Robotrek

Re: A series of unfourtonate events (Gamecube)

Postby Robotrek » November 1st, 2021, 6:04 pm

I found myself recalling reading this post 8 years ago, so I decided that since it'd been 8 years after, I would give it a go, having the game myself for the same console.

Wow, absolutely remarkable how vanilla it truly is. I played it for a few hours and actually finished it. The game is ungodly short. That said, I think SOME THINGS do have to be complimented. While the first area (the Count's house) is rather boring, I do enjoy the second area, even if the colors are a bit muted for an outdoor area such as that one. The physics are indeed a problem, as it feels like once you reach peak height, you drop like a STONE afterwards. The combat is definitely annoying, especially with that boxing glove contraption. Definitely not one of the better combat systems I've used in a platformer. The cutscenes are stiff and without much fine detail, in fact, many cutscenes are just drawings being narrated over. Yuck. The soundtrack is also rather forgettable. In fact, I can only really remember that little tune that plays when you first enter the house off the top of my head.

Overall, not something horribly enjoyable to play, and I wouldn't have played it if it weren't for the amusement I get from picking up the torch for the next 8 year mark.

Now, which unlucky bastard are we going to force to play this 8 years from now in 2029?

Return to “Now Playing”