Magic Carpet (Sega Saturn)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Gamehead1

Postby Gamehead1 » January 12th, 2014, 2:26 pm

I applaud Bullfrog for their originality, and for pulling off some good 3D graphics on the Saturn, but the control takes some getting used to, and the AI is really unforgiving, the rival wizards have no problem pounding you with fireballs, and its really hard to escape (the frame rate drops to a very low point) and they will run away from you once you attack. The game, despite its flaws is really enjoyable. I like how there are 70 big but creative levels that actually take a long time to finish. It sounds like crap, but you will be sucked in once you start playing. 

I'll update as I play, and maybe you guys can see if this game is worth buying or not.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 12th, 2014, 4:11 pm

I remember playing the demo on the PC for this one.  It felt like it had a lot of potential.  It would be interesting to see what they could do on new hardware.

Sut1

Postby Sut1 » January 12th, 2014, 5:20 pm

I have this but haven't had a deep play yet, would love to hear your thoughts as you progress from the game. Could you also expand on the cheap AI ? Like I said I've only briefly played the game but it's not the easiest to grab an angle on.

PSX1

Postby PSX1 » January 13th, 2014, 9:33 am

When I bought my Sega Saturn set on eBay about 10 to 15 years ago (early 2000s), it came with about 14 games and one of them was Magic Carpet.  I had never heard of the game before at that time.  I popped in it and gave it a shot for about 15 minutes, but I had absolutely no clue what was going on or what the objective was in the game, so I quickly moved on to the next game.  All I vaguely remember is that the controls were tough to grasp and there was a lot of pop-up... and of course, not knowing what I was supposed to do.  Since then, I've heard mixed reviews.  But based on your post and the Critic's very positive review (B grade), it sounds like it might be a game worth returning to.  Maybe I should read the manual next time....

Gamehead1

Postby Gamehead1 » January 13th, 2014, 8:00 pm

[QUOTE=Sut]I have this but haven't had a deep play yet, would love to hear your thoughts as you progress from the game. Could you also expand on the cheap AI ? Like I said I've only briefly played the game but it's not the easiest to grab an angle on.[/QUOTE]

Sure, the AI is very unforgiving, so I guess it wouldn't be cheap, but irritating. The rival wizards were the only enemies that I thought had unforgiving AI, they learn from your moves, and have no problem pounding you with fireballs. So they are intelligent, but in a bad way. I still enjoy the game, but only in short bursts.

Rev1

Postby Rev1 » January 14th, 2014, 2:31 am

I'd be interested in what you have to say about this game. I picked it up a while ago for the Sega Saturn due to the VGC's review (as well as a top 100 Saturn page) and it has been sitting on my backlog for a while.

Gamehead1

Postby Gamehead1 » January 14th, 2014, 7:44 pm

I'm on level 16 now and I have to say the game gets better as you play. The action gets more intense and there is more variety thanks to the spells you pick up through out the game. My complaints with they AI are still here though. 

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 13th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Ya' know,I have that game  myself,haven't touched it in two years after the controls bothered me.

I may have to come to you for a little help here and there,...I reckon when I'm on my work break and/or the next time I don't have so much homework and the housies aren't hogging the TV with their Reality TV BS

Luigi & Peach

Re: Magic Carpet (Sega Saturn)

Postby Luigi & Peach » March 19th, 2016, 9:50 am

I had the pc version of this game in the mid/late 90s. I recall it being really fun ( may have helped that I was using a joystick). My only complaint was that the game kept crashing and losing my data after around level 15 or so. You could only save after completing a level and I spent around an hour per level on some of them prior to the crash. I think the second time it happened I quit for good which was disappointing because it really is a fun game with quite a bit of variety ( and what I thought were good graphics for the time).

PitfallHarry

Re: Magic Carpet (Sega Saturn)

Postby PitfallHarry » March 19th, 2016, 3:19 pm

I remember playing this game on my Saturn when i was a kid and i liked it so much! Definetely one of my favourite Saturn games. Now replaying it i notice some flaws like the irritating AI, but it's still a fun title and definetely worth owning imho.

Return to “Now Playing”