Metroid Other M

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Segatarious1

Metroid Other M

Postby Segatarious1 » June 17th, 2013, 3:02 pm

Well, first lets start with the story - like LEGO City U load times, the story cannot be ignored, and it is intrusive....but if you grin and bear it, there is a fun game behind it...

I will take 'the fanbase' to task for a few things though,. about the story...

1.This story is too emotional, makes Samus weak? Hah! Sure its melodramatic, overlong clumsy and somewhat awkward, but I do like the soul behind it, trying to add depth to a genre known for cliche. I never thought Samus WAS macho, I guess. To me, the story made sense.

2. The character of Adam - authorizing weapons. First of all Adam is CO of the Marine force investigating this ship. Samus washed out of that outfit cause she a rebel, and she has ZERO authority to be there. Adam decides to keep her - because she is useful, but under his command and authority. That is logical. Its a CLEVER game play mechanic people, I love it! This is a GAME after all.

3. Stop whining about Nintendo not making Metroid games - Nintendo made this one, it was quite interesting, even if flawed, and your turning you're back on it and ripping it to high heaven helped seal its fate, find its way to the bargain bin, and perhaps put the series on hiatus. Look in the mirror....Also Metroid Blast is quite fun, sometimes Metroid fans get as whiny and needy as Meg Man fans, and ignore all the games that WERE made in lieu of the 'great game' that exists in their minds...

Ok, gameplay finally - just like the game!!

I LOVE that this game is NES style controls. It works pretty well! It takes time to 'adjust' to the pointer mechanic, but at least the transition is quite fast. The main problem I have is facing the wrong direction occasionally when switching fast, which cause problems...but over time it is becoming second nature. I like that you have to switch to first person to hit switches or blow up doors to advance. Makes a 2D game feel fuller, and when you are in '2D' (fixed camera 3d , most usually) you get that nice controlled camera angles in the bargain. Its the best of both worlds. I like the missile recharge, and the life recharge is even better - in intense fights you often do not have time enough to use it, so it becomes a moral decision - do I fight like a man and hope not to get hit again, or do I try to recharge and die in vain? Lol, its classic! I prefer it to simply collecting life enemies drop. And when you do die, you are put back none too far, so there is challenge and tension, but no frustration.

The ship is sweet. I love the idea, none of it is real, right? And yet it is...  the world look great and the place feels creepy and mysterious. I love the art style, I love the colors. I love how fast Samus moves. The gameplay and combat is fast and loose, but it does have technique. I am playing Super Metroid on WiiU (first time trying to complete it, stuck part way through) and that game feels downright clunky by comparison.  Controls, especially jumping, are SO much smoother in this game. I am going to have a hard time going back to SM now, the $6 game has commanded my attention as the .30 cent one never has. Some of the enemies are kind of generic, but overall they are interesting, and aggressive and intense.

Overall, I am a couple of hours in, and I do recommend. I will see where I rate it upon completion, but right now it feels like a winner, best Metroid save for Prime 1.

JustLikeHeaven1

Metroid Other M

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 17th, 2013, 3:49 pm

I've heard from a couple people that the game isn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be.  Everyone that I've talked to said it's worth trying because you can easily find it for $10 or less.  I think I'm going to try and snatch up a copy while it's still dirt cheap.  While I find it hard to imagine that it's better than the highly praised Super Metroid, I don't doubt that the game is good.  Thanks for the info!

m0zart1

Metroid Other M

Postby m0zart1 » June 17th, 2013, 6:01 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]I've heard from a couple people that the game isn't nearly as bad as it was made out to be.  Everyone that I've talked to said it's worth trying because you can easily find it for $10 or less.  I think I'm going to try and snatch up a copy while it's still dirt cheap.  While I find it hard to imagine that it's better than the highly praised Super Metroid, I don't doubt that the game is good.  Thanks for the info![/QUOTE]

It isn't better than Super Metroid.  But it is a good game as long as you can get past the horrible dialog and the over-dramatic story and setting.  It actually has more in common with Metroid Fusion than any of them.

As I understand it, NOA wanted to change the dialog and story to fit US audiences, but the request was rejected by Team Ninja's lead.

Greisha1

Metroid Other M

Postby Greisha1 » June 17th, 2013, 6:02 pm

[QUOTE=Segatarious]
3. Stop whining about Nintendo not making Metroid games - Nintendo made this one
[/QUOTE]

Didn't Team Ninja (Temco) make this one?

Atarifever1

Metroid Other M

Postby Atarifever1 » June 17th, 2013, 8:19 pm

I've said it before, it is not just cringe-worthy.  The story and voice acting in this one are so incredibly bad they represent a new low for the entire medium. I'm not a rabid Metroid fan.  I love Metroid 2, but the rest of the series to me is take it or leave it.  I think they are high qulaity, but I've never finished one aside from Metroid 2, so it's hardly something I am attached to.  But I am sorry, the cut scenes, from the glasses wearing scientist leering at Samus, to the terrible "thumbs down" scene that makes me sick to even think about, make this the worst use of story the medium has ever seen.  I think some people took issue with this before, but I find it insulting intellectually.  Not like "I'm too smart to like this," but rather, "I am a thinking being of any kind, and this is unbelievably stupid forever."  It hurts to watch.  It turns my stomach. 

Sorry for the response, but I can count on one finger the number of times a Nintendo franchise game has made me feel like they should just have not made it.  This is that one. 

The worst part, the absolute worst, is that I have been assured there's a great game in there.  I knew that before I bought it.  I assumed I'd end up, like usual, one of the defenders of a reviled game.  I got it for so cheap on sale it was practically free ($10 maybe), so I didn't feel like I was "owed" much of a game.  And yet, even knowing if I can get past the story it will be worth it, and knowing it had a bad story before buying it, and getting it for the price of an on sale Steam game, I could not stand it long enough to get into the good stuff.  It truly disgusts me.  That, of course, doesn't surprise me.  It is from Team Ninja. 

Absolute yuck.

darkrage61

Metroid Other M

Postby darkrage61 » June 17th, 2013, 11:37 pm

Atarifever-you want a game with a REALLY terrible story?  Try Vampire Rain, I gurantee you Other M will look like a godsend by comparison.

FieryReign1

Metroid Other M

Postby FieryReign1 » June 18th, 2013, 12:20 am

[QUOTE=Atarifever]I've said it before, it is not just cringe-worthy.  The story and voice acting in this one are so incredibly bad they represent a new low for the entire medium. I'm not a rabid Metroid fan.  I love Metroid 2, but the rest of the series to me is take it or leave it.  I think they are high qulaity, but I've never finished one aside from Metroid 2, so it's hardly something I am attached to.  But I am sorry, the cut scenes, from the glasses wearing scientist leering at Samus, to the terrible "thumbs down" scene that makes me sick to even think about, make this the worst use of story the medium has ever seen.  I think some people took issue with this before, but I find it insulting intellectually.  Not like "I'm too smart to like this," but rather, "I am a thinking being of any kind, and this is unbelievably stupid forever."  It hurts to watch.  It turns my stomach.  <br><br>Sorry for the response, but I can count on one finger the number of times a Nintendo franchise game has made me feel like they should just have not made it.  This is that one.  <br><br>The worst part, the absolute worst, is that I have been assured there's a great game in there.  I knew that before I bought it.  I assumed I'd end up, like usual, one of the defenders of a reviled game.  I got it for so cheap on sale it was practically free ($10 maybe), so I didn't feel like I was "owed" much of a game.  And yet, even knowing if I can get past the story it will be worth it, and knowing it had a bad story before buying it, and getting it for the price of an on sale Steam game, I could not stand it long enough to get into the good stuff.  It truly disgusts me.  That, of course, doesn't surprise me.  It is from Team Ninja.  <br><br>Absolute yuck.[/QUOTE]
If cut-scenes and voice acting are your thing I recommend a Sega CD or 3DO. Gameplay is what matters to most. Coming from someone who has only bothered to finish a Gameboy rendition of Metroid?

darkrage61

Metroid Other M

Postby darkrage61 » June 18th, 2013, 1:27 am

How could you not finish any of the Metroid Prime games?

Atarifever1

Metroid Other M

Postby Atarifever1 » June 18th, 2013, 5:57 am

[QUOTE=FieryReign]If cut-scenes and voice acting are your thing I recommend a Sega CD or 3DO. Gameplay is what matters to most. Coming from someone who has only bothered to finish a Gameboy rendition of Metroid? [/QUOTE]
Yeah, you're right, just because you have to watch it to get to the gameplay that we're supposed to want the game for, doesn't mean it gets in the way of the gameplay... well except that is exactly, literally what it does.  And just because your objectives for the game will be in there, making it difficult or impossible to play the game without watching thiose, doesn't mean they get in the way of the gameplay.  Oh wait, yeah, that is exactly what it literally does again.  And I mean, I only finished the Gameboy one, right?  And if I believed in gameplay over story no way would my favourite entry in the series be one with almost no story, no cut scenes, and monochrome, 8-bit graphics.  Oh wait.  I believe your point just completely fell apart. 

Your argument is that if I like Gameplay in a game, I shouldn't be upset that it is ruined by overlong, unskippable cutscenes that add nothing to the game, waste my time, and make me want to vomit?  I want you to think about that argument for one second and realize how incredibly, incredibly backwards it is.

Return to “Now Playing”