Mass Effect 2

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat1

Mass Effect 2

Postby DaHeckIzDat1 » February 8th, 2015, 11:43 am

I've been playing Mass Effect 2 lately. It's the version that was included in the trilogy set, even though I bought it by itself. It's pretty fun so far, especially since I bought an hdmi cord to reduce the color bleed. There are some parts of the game that are really choppy and glitchy, but I'm not sure if that's the game itself or just the disk I bought. I just recently discovered that the trilogy edition includes all the dlc, and I've been playing through it without even realizing it.

Retro STrife

Re: Mass Effect 2

Postby Retro STrife » June 27th, 2021, 5:28 pm

Just started this today. Crazy to think.. in 2008, I beat the first Mass Effect. Here I am in 2021, loading up my Xbox 360 again, and transferring my custom Shepard from 2008 into Mass Effect 2. Being a completionist, I was really thorough in my ME1 game with top-end ratings and the best Paragon endings. I didn't want that to go to waste. So, while Mass Effect Legendary Edition just came out and has all the best bells-and-whistles, I decided to go back to the OG version of ME2 instead.

But why bother with Mass Effect 2 all these years later? When I beat ME1 in 2008, I basically decided "that was a good experience, but it wasn't exactly mind-blowing, I pretty much got the gist, so no need to spend another 100+ hours seeing the trilogy to the end." With that mentality, I skipped playing ME2 and ME3. And yet, years later Mass Effect 2 continues to be ranked as one of the best games ever made. For example, Game Informer recently ranked it at #19 on its "best games ever" list and #4 on its "best RPGs ever" list. [For the curious, only Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, and Skyrim were higher RPGs.] They talk about how big of a step-up it was from ME1. I felt like I had to stop ignoring it and finally see what I missed.

We'll see where it leads. So far I’ve just killed a couple hours watching videos to remember the original, and then played the first couple missions of ME2. DaHeck, how did you fare with it? And anyone else here play this back in the day or playing Legendary Edition now?

Return to “Now Playing”