Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
BanjoPickles1

Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)

Postby BanjoPickles1 » December 27th, 2014, 12:36 am

I've been very iffy about this game since it was first released on Wii U last year. The reviews were good, but the impression that I got was that it was meh.

Well, I'm happy to admit that my impression was wrong!

The game takes bite-sized fragments from a handful of NES games and transforms them into fun mini games. For example, you may be tasked to jump over three barrels in Donkey Kong, or clear a room in the Legend of Zelda without taking any damage. The game is almost like a cliff notes retelling of Nintendo's 8-bit output, cutting out the flab and making something fresh out of games that are over twenty-five years old.

If you have a soft spot for the classics, I'd whole-heartedly recommend it! If you like games you can simply pick up and play, buy this game!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 27th, 2014, 10:26 am

Thanks for letting us know what this is all about!  There's been a lot of confusion surrounding it.  My friends thought it was a collection of old games.

BanjoPickles1

Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)

Postby BanjoPickles1 » December 27th, 2014, 1:17 pm

Nope, just little challenges from each game. Some of the challenges are timed, and some aren't. Each of the sixteen games has anywhere from 7-20+ challenges that vary in difficulty. There are also remix challenges where you play certain snippets of a game with characters from another game. For example, you may play be tasked to play as Samus in Super Mario Brothers, or Link in Donkey Kong. You can also play the entirety of Super Mario 1....but the catch is that the game is majorly sped up.

PinMike86661

Ultimate NES Remix (3DS)

Postby PinMike86661 » December 27th, 2014, 3:58 pm

NES Remix 1 & 2 are very solid fun while it lasts; however, considering the Wii U version is also a physical release from the same price (as NES Remix Pack), I'd recommend that version since it features more games, even if it is the lesser games as well a better exclusive extra; while the 3DS version offers Speed Mario Bros., which is just the original game at twice the speed, the Wii U version has Super Luigi Bros., a mirrored-version of the original game using the Luigi physics found in Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. To the advantage of the 3DS version, there is another extra called "Famicom Remix", but I feel it's not enough to recommend over the console version as none of Nintendo's NES games differ that much from their original Famicom versions; the biggest noticeable difference is very slightly better audio and Super Mario Bros. 3 being less forgiving when taking hits. NES Remix Pack on Wii U is the real deal, while the 3DS version is just a best-of of the two installments.

Return to “Now Playing”