Goldeneye (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
pacguy191

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby pacguy191 » July 14th, 2014, 7:12 pm

[QUOTE=Vexer]combining the two just feels very cheap and more often then not it comes down to luck rather then skill[/QUOTE]
Bond takes bullets like a tank and regenerates health. As long as you keep moving and take advantage of the auto-aim, there you go, its not hard, no fake difficulty, none of that.

weallmissedme1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby weallmissedme1 » July 14th, 2014, 7:55 pm

As a big bond fan, I gave this game a try. You see, at this point in time, consoles were actually BETTER than PC's (in my humble opinion), because most of us didn't have PC's to play games like this. I wouldn't experience a seriously fun online FPS until I discovered TFC. I liked it. Did I think it was GREAT? No. But it showed that FPS games could be respectable on consoles (at that point I was playing DOOM on my old Pentium machine). Sure, Perfect Dark surpassed it in every way, but there's good fun to be had. And I think it's aged very well. Framerate runs smooth enough, and the game plays fine. Graphically, yeah, it hasn't aged well. But find me one FPS from that era that isn't sprite based, that actually HAS!

pacguy191

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby pacguy191 » July 14th, 2014, 9:46 pm

At this point, the best part is probably the main theme. That guitar is still awesome:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGxubrgpELU[/video]

I'm interested to see how Perfect Dark performs on an emulator considering it needs that expansion pak thingy.

Vexer1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby Vexer1 » July 14th, 2014, 11:06 pm

Pacguy19-That's just your opinion, and in mine the game feels very unbalanced.  

Weallmissedme-When I say the game hasn't aged well, i'm not talking in terms of graphics, i'm talking in terms of gameplay.

Dogtanian1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby Dogtanian1 » July 15th, 2014, 6:03 am

I don't think it is unreasonable to compare Goldeneye to a game that was released a year before it. Yes, obviously the N64 has significant limitations to a high-end PC of the time. I don't expect it to push as many polygons. However, I think it is valid to criticise the pacing, level design and game mechanics. For instance, to those that haven't memorised every map the game (particularly in multiplayer) can be confusing as the same one or two textures are used throughout the level. I am aware that Goldeneye is a cherished game to many so I don't expect everyone to agree, but if the game hasn't aged well compared to its contemporaries or beyond the graphics and controls then it has to be reappraised. Also, I don't think Goldeneye is necessarily a miraculous technical achievement, particularly in comparison to something like Quake 2 on the PSX.

The criticism over controls was not specific to this game, or N64 controller either. I honestly have no interest in playing FPS multiplayer on consoles as I feel crippled by the controls. I am willing to tolerate them for single player campaigns if they are worthwhile.

ActRaiser1

Goldeneye (N64)

Postby ActRaiser1 » July 15th, 2014, 10:05 am

[QUOTE=pacguy19]

I'm interested to see how Perfect Dark performs on an emulator considering it needs that expansion pak thingy.[/QUOTE]

If you have a 360 you can play the original Perfect Dark in good form.  It plays well and supports two player co-op as well.  It's an Xbox Live Arcade game.

Return to “Now Playing”