Rare Replay (XboxOne)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Rare Replay (XboxOne)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2015, 10:36 pm

I was surprised to see that the earliest titles in this 30-game compilation are actually ZX Spectrum games. That's a computer few people heard of in the States.

I've only played the first few games so far but I'm really enjoying myself. The early games are fascinating but there are also advanced games like Perfect Dark Zero, Viva Pinata, and Banjo Kazooi Nuts and Bolts. In the middle "sweet spot" are old favorites like Battletoads, RC Pro Am, and Killer Instinct Gold. One great bonus is the inclusion of documentary videos providing insight into the game development.

One minor complaint is that the interface is overengineered with too many screens and prompts. You probably have to wade through 8 prompts before finally playing a game. Also, while personal high scores are recorded for the "snapshot" minigames, they don't seem to be recorded anywhere for the actual games (correct me if I'm wrong).

Another issue is that a lot of stuff is locked, but is easy to unlock. So while I'm in the middle of playing Slalom I get this big message on my screen (blocking me view) telling me that Perfect Dark is unlock and press a certain button to start it. That's annoying but it gets worse. Then it told me there wasn't enough room to install and I had to clear off some space!

I really don't have that many Xbox One games so it's really annoying how I have to manage my disk space. It's the same with my PS4 I guess. Haven't had the problem with my Wii U, which actually reads the game off the discs!

BlasteroidAli

Re: Rare Replay (XboxOne)

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 9th, 2015, 9:01 am

The thing is that you need to have about 50 gigs free on the hard drive then you do not get the messages.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 9th, 2015, 3:41 pm

I got this first day it came out. I just had to down load it. It had lots of spectrum games I played in the 80s. A lot of NES games that I had never got to play and a lot of N64 games I had never tried either. So all in all for me it is a great package.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 9th, 2015, 6:39 pm

I spent a lot of the day played Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Utterly fantastic. I was useless at it back on the original xbox but now I seem to be quite good at it.
I am really enjoying the compilation as the last time I got a collection it was the capcom one which had more bad games in it than good. Also it was a good deal more expensive.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » August 20th, 2015, 8:24 pm

Actually the games aren't locked exactly, they just hadn't installed yet. The game lets you start playing before you the system installing everything so you will be able to play some of the earlier games on the compilation while the Xbox 360 games on the compilation download. It appears all the games that are on the 360 aren't actually on the disk; it just installs them to the Xbox One and has a license to indicate you can play them. So now all those games will show in your Xbox One games tab outside of Rare Replay, but you can't actually play them without the disk. Kind of annoying to me but it's a great collection anyway.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 21st, 2015, 8:09 am

Is this game xbox exclusive?

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 21st, 2015, 8:42 am

Rookie1 wrote:Is this game xbox exclusive?

Yes, Xbox One exclusive.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » August 21st, 2015, 8:45 am

ActRaiser wrote:
Rookie1 wrote:Is this game xbox exclusive?

Yes, Xbox One exclusive.

Thats a shame. Sounds like a killer compilation.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » August 21st, 2015, 11:43 am

Since the Critic has both Rare Replay and Killer Instinct, I wanted to let him know that he has access to Rash from Battletoads as a playable character in KI. This is beta test that will be available up through 12am PT on 09/08/15, as they are still ironing out details of the character before his official release. There's a trailer for the character out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzwafCJ28I

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 21st, 2015, 1:22 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Since the Critic has both Rare Replay and Killer Instinct, I wanted to let him know that he has access to Rash from Battletoads as a playable character in KI. This is beta test that will be available up through 12am PT on 09/08/15, as they are still ironing out details of the character before his official release. There's a trailer for the character out now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xzwafCJ28I

That's freaking awesome. Nice!

Return to “Now Playing”