Rare Replay (XboxOne)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Rare Replay (XboxOne)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 21st, 2015, 1:34 pm

Esauce,
I see what you are saying about the games installing while you are playing.
Maybe that's the case, but without instructions, you really don't know what the hell is happening.
All I know is as I play new games I get annoying prompts saying new games are available.
You could pin it on the console design, but since Rare Replay is designed to run on this console, I think it was really the game team's responsibility to deliver a smooth, pleasant experience.
VGC

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 21st, 2015, 8:50 pm

While it would've been a tight squeeze to fit everything into 50 gigs, I think it's a shame that at least the XBLA titles weren't included from the get go. A retail edition of their three N64 remasters was a significant part of the allure of this collection. I'll still get it, but I'm slightly less enthusiastic about it now.

I've heard about an online activation being needed for this title. Does this just refer to the downloading and installation of the emulated 360 content, or can the non 360 half of it not be enjoyed offline without the need of an initial connection to Xbox Live when the game is first installed?

Not important today, but it would be nice to know that in a future without Xbox Live, at least a sizable chunk of this release could still be enjoyed on any Xbox One console just by inserting the disc into the system.

Tron

Postby Tron » August 21st, 2015, 9:22 pm

Sounds like a sweet collection. Props to Microsoft.

I'm confused are the games on the disc or do you have to download off the internet? Can this collection even be played offline? Thanks

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 29th, 2015, 5:50 pm

Tron wrote:Sounds like a sweet collection. Props to Microsoft.

I'm confused are the games on the disc or do you have to download off the internet? Can this collection even be played offline? Thanks

Anything pre-Xbox 360 released is available on the disk. However, there's some exceptions to that. If the game was re-released on to the Xbox 360 then you'll have to download it. It's a bit weird as some of the N64 games were ported to the Xbox 360. On the plus side these are enhanced slightly.

I got this yesterday and have really enjoyed trying out some of the older, more obscure games. There's an awesome series of video game developer commentaries that one unlocks the more one plays.

Here's one for you. They found out that the games in an N64 would be retained in memory if you were to pull the game out of the console while it's on. They started experimenting with that feature in order to start giving customers incentives to play more Rare games. They didn't tell Nintendo and ended up not doing anything with it as they thought they'd get told to stop and didn't want to damage consoles. They wanted to provide little unlocks say from Killer Instinct into Banjo Kazooie. Crazy!

Unlocking the videos might be difficult as some of the stamps you'll need to unlock will require some serious time. Regardless, this collection is the best Nintendo collection out there. Great stuff

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 10th, 2015, 9:19 am

ActRaiser wrote:
Tron wrote:Sounds like a sweet collection. Props to Microsoft.

Unlocking the videos might be difficult as some of the stamps you'll need to unlock will require some serious time. Regardless, this collection is the best Nintendo collection out there. Great stuff

Lol the best nintendo collection.

I have to say I got it for the zx spectrum games.
Jet pac the game that started it all. 30 years old? Still fun today. It's sequel Lunar jetman... which is impossible.

Though this brings me to another of the modern bug bears. I have to use the online instructions to find out what to do in the game. For Lunar Jetman I kept getting Sorry this is unavailable over and over again. Really I just want a manual.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » September 10th, 2015, 11:57 am

Anyone notice the original Xbox games were completely "remastered"? They look good. The Grabbed by the Ghoulies game looks amazing.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 10th, 2015, 6:06 pm

Sadly, only one original Xbox game is included though.

Every other title here is running via emulation, although the N64 games all see a visual boost to varying degrees over original hardware. The two Banjo games and Perfect Dark are having their fine looking Xbox 360 remasterings emulated here via Microsoft's 360 emulator and look spectacular. And the non-remastered N64 content that's running via a N64 emulator is rendering them in HD, much like how Nintendo's Wii U Virtual Console handles them.

Not sure what else would've made for a decent choice from the original Xbox, but too bad that their Conker remake wasn't included at the very least. Supposedly it's quite an upgrade visually from the N64 original and has some unique content, although it's not universally preferred by fans. I'm sure that everyone would've loved to have had access to both iterations of that one.

The real loss though is the Super Nintendo years. Where is the Killer Instinct port and Battletoads in Battlemaniacs to represent their output on that platform? Obviously can't fault them for many omissions here like not including the Donkey Kong Country series, the Killer Instinct arcade games which are already sold separately, and Goldeneye 007 which is a licensing nightmare,

But not a single SuperNes game to represent what's perhaps the greatest era of Rare's history? Seems like a glaring hole to me.
Last edited by Atariboy on December 14th, 2015, 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2015, 11:56 am

Has anybody figured out how to save high scores with this? And I'm not talking about the snapshot high scores, which I could care less about.

I like this compilation, but this high score issue really bothers me.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 12th, 2015, 2:15 pm

Found another flaw. For the Xbox 360 titles you HAVE to be online or your can NOT save your progress. That is so bogus.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » September 12th, 2015, 4:22 pm

The joys of modern gaming...

I don't own a Xbox One, but it's well known that the Xbox One's 360 emulator, which Rare Replay is using for the 360 content, utilizes the cloud to enable cross-platform saving and such. Your error sounds exactly like what would happen on an actual Xbox 360 when you have cloud saving enabled, but the system isn't online (Edit: Although I really don't understand why it would refuse your local hard drive save, which is even more important than usual if you're not accessing the cloud, just because you're not connected at that time...).

Can I use my cloud saves offline?

You must be connected to Xbox Live when you start a game in order to access Cloud Saved Games. If you get disconnected from Xbox Live while playing a game, you can continue playing the game. If you're not connected to Xbox Live when you exit the game, your game save will not be uploaded to the cloud. You will need to connect to Xbox Live before you can use the game save on another console (when you connect to Xbox Live, your game save will be uploaded to the cloud).

So it's possibly looking to the cloud to see if you played these before and would grab the save off there if you had, followed by uploading it back to the cloud afterwards when you're finished playing. But the Microsoft faq says that the only online requirement for any Rare Replay functionality that one could logically expect to enjoy offline, is the initial activation of the 360 content (i.e., having to download it from XBL since it's not included on the disc itself).

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one ... f61e30f486

Will I be able to play Rare Replay offline?

You'll need to connect to Xbox Live during the installation process to download a mandatory patch, and to download or create an Xbox 360 profile for use with the Xbox 360 titles. This will make all titles within the collection fully playable. After this step, you can play the games offline, though this means you won’t have access to cloud save data, leaderboards, and online multiplayer modes. The Xbox 360 titles also require an online connection to convert any gamerscore earned to milestone progress within Rare Replay.

I would think that if this limitation indeed exists after the initial activation, that it would've been mentioned here. Titles like the Banjo games obviously aren't playable offline if your progress can't be saved. I don't own it, but I'd suggest you dig further and see if there isn't a way to select to save content locally instead of the cloud like it sounds like is possibly what's happening for you.

I can't find a single complaint about the XB1's 360 emulator mandating that you be connected to Xbox Live after your game is installed just in order to save your game to your local HDD. I'm convinced there must be a setting somewhere that you have to change to switch from cloud saving to local saving (Or if it's trying to simultaneously save both to your HDD and to the cloud and failing since you're offline, a setting that disables the cloud functionality completely.).

Do you know the shortcut that opens up the 360 dashboard? The setting that needs to be changed could possibly be located there, somewhere (Press the view and menu buttons simultaneously when you're playing an emulated 360 title).

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/ ... ox-360-faq

Return to “Now Playing”