Asura's Wrath- PS3

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DaHeckIzDat

Asura's Wrath- PS3

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 27th, 2015, 9:53 pm

I've been playing Asura's Wrath on my PS3 recently, and it's a niche title if there ever was one. People like to say it's like Heavy Rain if it was a Dragon Ball game, but I think Dragon's Lair is a much better comparison since you're not making any choices, you're just "guiding" the character around. Not a bad game, but not one that'll appeal to 90% of the gaming market. But hey, I respect it for that. It knows what it wants to be, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. I beat it in three three-hour play sessions, and now I'm wondering if the "secret" episodes and ending are worth going through the main game and getting S rank on five levels for, or if I should just watch them on YouTube.

BlasteroidAli

Re: Asura's Wrath- PS3

Postby BlasteroidAli » November 28th, 2015, 7:27 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I've been playing Asura's Wrath on my PS3 recently, and it's a niche title if there ever was one. People like to say it's like Heavy Rain if it was a Dragon Ball game, but I think Dragon's Lair is a much better comparison since you're not making any choices, you're just "guiding" the character around. Not a bad game, but not one that'll appeal to 90% of the gaming market. But hey, I respect it for that. It knows what it wants to be, and doesn't pretend to be anything else. I beat it in three three-hour play sessions, and now I'm wondering if the "secret" episodes and ending are worth going through the main game and getting S rank on five levels for, or if I should just watch them on YouTube.

cool... I always wondered what this one was like...

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 28th, 2015, 1:00 pm

If you're someone who doesn't give two flips about a game's narrative, don't even bother. This game is 95% cutscene, 4% interactive cutscene, and 1% actual gameplay. Like I've said numerous times, the story is often the best part of a game for me, so I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 29th, 2020, 5:39 pm

Been playing this game a little bit lately. Finished 6 episodes and I think there's like 19 total. Personally, I don't see the Heavy Rain and Dragon's Lair connections mentioned by DaHeckIzDat. To me, the most immediate comparison that jumps to mind is God of War. Asura's Wrath came to my attention when Game Informer did a list of Top 10 angry protagonists in games, and Asura was #1, surpassing even Kratos. But the stories are similar at initial glance -- Asura is a godlike entity and he is betrayed by other gods, who kill his wife and capture his daughter. Asura seeks out revenge, with an unrelenting rage, as he attempts to reunite with his daughter. Sounds a lot like God of War if you ask me, but set in Japan rather than Greece. And the gameplay has similarities, as it is based on melee combat and a lot of quick-time button presses during boss battles.

But I do agree that the game is very story-heavy, with most of the time spent watching cutscenes, with 5 minute bites of action interspersed. But the story seems pretty good so far, so I find it worth watching.

DaHeck, did you finish the game and, if so, what did you think? Anyone else? I'm trying to decide if I should keep playing or if I've seen enough and need to try a new game.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 5th, 2020, 12:18 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I don't see the Heavy Rain and Dragon's Lair connections mentioned by DaHeckIzDat.

I said that because the most prevalent type of gameplay just has you pressing buttons or directions according to onscreen prompts with the outcome depending on if you do so in time, similar to how in Dragon's Lair you just react to whatever flashes on the screen. There are levels that actually have you in direct control of Asura, but they're the minority compared to the interactive cutscene bits.

Retro STrife wrote:DaHeck, did you finish the game and, if so, what did you think? Anyone else? I'm trying to decide if I should keep playing or if I've seen enough and need to try a new game.

I beat the main story, but never went back and got the scores necessary to unlock final episodes. Didn't even end up looking them up on YouTube. I just sort of lost interest and never went back.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 6th, 2020, 12:59 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I beat the main story, but never went back and got the scores necessary to unlock final episodes. Didn't even end up looking them up on YouTube. I just sort of lost interest and never went back.

Yeah, I haven't played it since my last post, and I think that might be my cue to call it quits. It's a pretty good game and in an ideal world I'd keep pressing forward. But with so much backlog, I think I have to say I've experienced enough of Asura's Wrath to get the point and move on to the next game. Twisted Metal is the next PS3 game I have in my "need to play" queue to try for the first time.

That said, if a weird mash-up of God of War, Dragon's Lair, and Japanese anime appeals to anyone, the game is definitely worth considering.

Return to “Now Playing”