1080 Snowboarding (Nintendo 64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retrology

1080 Snowboarding (Nintendo 64)

Postby Retrology » January 16th, 2016, 3:00 pm

Along with Rush 2 (really enjoying it) I got 1080 Snowboarding in the mail several days ago as part of a late Christmas gift, and while I struggled with the controls early, I got past the learning curve, and I can honestly say this is one of my favorite racing games for the N64.

Where do I begin with this one? First off, the snowboard controls are physics are astoundingly good, even 18 years later. Rolling down gigantic mountains and slopes is wild, and adds to the fun factor, similar to Wave Race 64.

The graphics are some of the best on the console. Who cares if it's dated by today's standards? It's still extremely pleasing to look at, and offers plenty of eye candy (the backgrounds especially) and a smooth frame rate. It has the feel of Midway's late 90s arcade style racing games, and the style to boot. The music is a mixed bag, but some of the songs (Golden Forest and Grasp Power) are really good.

When you add in all the other features, this is an N64 classic. As it is Winter, I cannot recommend playing this enough if you need a game for the snow. In the critic's own words: "This game just about does everything right!"

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: 1080 Snowboarding (Nintendo 64)

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 16th, 2016, 9:35 pm

There has been a serious lack of modern snowboarding games - fortunately we have plenty of classics to fall back on!
Glad to see some seasonally correct gaming going on, even if it has been a warm winter so far.
If we play enough winter games, we may be able to influence the weather patterns. That's science or something.

shootingstar

Postby shootingstar » January 18th, 2016, 12:32 am

No guys, please don't do that. I'm really enjoying the 65-75 (and sometimes more) degree temperatures that we've been having this winter. At least for the most part, it got pretty cold around Christmas time so maybe you guys played a lot of winter games then. :lol:

Retrology

Postby Retrology » January 18th, 2016, 5:47 pm

shootingstar wrote:No guys, please don't do that. I'm really enjoying the 65-75 (and sometimes more) degree temperatures that we've been having this winter. At least for the most part, it got pretty cold around Christmas time so maybe you guys played a lot of winter games then. :lol:

My area just got hit with a lot of snow. Too late. :mrgreen:

Herschie

Postby Herschie » March 30th, 2020, 3:12 pm

I started playing this, and let's just say that the I'm doing about as well as I'd be doing if I were to grab my own snowboard and hit the slopes. Only good thing is that it's my character who will end up in traction, not me.

Retrology

Postby Retrology » March 30th, 2020, 11:28 pm

Herschie wrote:I started playing this, and let's just say that the I'm doing about as well as I'd be doing if I were to grab my own snowboard and hit the slopes. Only good thing is that it's my character who will end up in traction, not me.

The trick is you're supposed to hold the Z-trigger just before you land back on the ground. Took me a while to figure that out but the game is way easier after you figure that out.

Return to “Now Playing”