Shinobi (PS2)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Sut

Shinobi (PS2)

Postby Sut » April 14th, 2016, 5:58 pm

I've got a stack of Sega PS2 games I never got round to playing so I thought I would make a start with Shinobi.

First things first this is balls horrifically difficult. Thankfully the European version has an easy option which is what I'm playing on at the moment as I struggled to beat stage 3a on normal.

The camera is always great and doesn't seem to 'swing' in the appropriate direction. But the action is always fluid and smooth. Graphics are a mixed bag, very bare bones in some areas and pretty lovely in others the main character is animated extremely well.

The main thing is though, the game is a lot of fun. It's very satisfying to string a 'tata' together and see the enemy split into half. Alas the insane difficulty level and lack of checkpoints (yup you have to start the level over old school style) lowers the potential score for me it's sitting somewhere between a C+ and B- at the moment depending how frustratingly difficult I'm finding a particular stage.

I've read there are multiple characters to unlock but if I'm finding it heavy going on easy I don't fancy my chances of finishing it on hard and collecting all the coins to unlock Joe.

Sut

Re: Shinobi (PS2)

Postby Sut » April 30th, 2016, 5:17 am

Still picking this up and putting it down. Every stage feels like an ordeal but it as fun as it is frustrating.
It's so old school gameplay wise you really have to focus as one mistake and your back at the start of the level, but it is soooo satisfying when you do beat a stage not unlike the old Shinobi games.

A couple of times I've felt like putting it away due to the difficulty but with practice comes rewards. I do really have fun when I can get in the 'zone' and get a good flow.

I think beating this beast even on easy would be a monumental achievement!

Also it's good to see a typical Sega game on a non Sega console.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 19th, 2016, 6:52 am

Finally beat this game albeit on easy mode (apparently the NA release doesn't have an easy mode). Boy this was one tough cookie.
Think I will go back and try and collect the Oboru coins for some unlockables. I would try to play through again on normal but I don't think I have the fight for it.

If this game had checkpoints and a less brutal difficulty I could see me giving this an A- but as it stands it's a C.

Now onto more post Dreamcast Sega stuff. Nightshade, OutRun 2 or Project Altered Beast.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 6th, 2018, 6:21 am

Wow it’s been 2 years and this game is still on my ‘yet to beat’ pile.
I did beat it on easy but feel compelled to to beat the ‘normal’ mode.

Had the PS2 left powered on for 3 days as I don’t want to start the whole stage again if I switch it off.

I just cannot beat the last boss, I will keep trying anyone beat this monster on normal ? If you have any tips for the final boss ?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 6th, 2018, 12:14 pm

Sut wrote:Had the PS2 left powered on for 3 days as I don’t want to start the whole stage again if I switch it off.

I've gotten so spoiled on the "suspend" feature of modern consoles.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 19th, 2018, 3:23 am

Finally, finally beat this. It’s sort of counter to how you beat previous bosses. I was constantly going for the big one/two hit maximum gauge kill (which all the fancy Dans on YouTube do). But I actually beat him with several smaller gauge hits.
All in all an excellent but punishing game. If you like old school hard but in 3D with an occasional wonky camera this game is for you.

Feel brave enough to take on its sequel Nightshade now.

ptdebate wrote:I've gotten so spoiled on the "suspend" feature of modern consoles.

Yes my PS2 has been on for nearly two weeks which probably isn’t a good thing, but hey I have two back up Systems.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 19th, 2018, 8:46 pm

Way to see it through Sut!!

Return to “Now Playing”