Metroid Prime (Gamecube)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Metroid Prime (Gamecube)

Postby Herschie » April 22nd, 2016, 3:04 am

I recently dusted this one off and popped it in. I remember first playing this in the fall of 2003. It's funny how games can bring back memories from the time you played them. I remember being a big stoner at the time and playing this game baked. I remember being in denial until December that the Cubs were knocked out of the playoffs. I also remember getting into this PUA crap that eventually got me my wife. We actually started talking online around this time too.

When I first played this, I really didn't get the feeling that I was playing a Metroid game, but in playing it now, I do. And unlike many of my favorite Zelda titles, I really don't remember where everything is, so that helps too (I forgot to grab the easily-accessible Charge Beam, making the game ten times harder than it should have been). I'm glad I decided to play this game again, it's a lot of fun.

Unfortunately, I am one of those who can't play first-person shooters for long, lest I get motion sickness (In this case, it would actually be called simulation sickness. Look it up). I'm not the only one either. One hilarious memory I have is when my buddy came over once while I was playing it, and he wanted to play for awhile. He ended up playing for a good 45 minutes or so. All the sudden he puts down the controller and just keels over severely nauseated. Wasn't funny then, but looking back, it sure is.

Me, I can tolerate this game more than I could Wolfenstein when I was a kid, but I too have to stop playing after awhile. Still, I love this game.

scotland

Re: Metroid Prime (Gamecube)

Postby scotland » April 22nd, 2016, 5:40 am

Herschie wrote:Unfortunately, I am one of those who can't play first-person shooters for long, lest I get motion sickness (In this case, it would actually be called simulation sickness. Look it up). I'm not the only one either.

You are not the only one.

This game and motion sickness actually had its own thread
http://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=13314&p=135376

and the idea itself another thread, where you were joined by Dave, Ozzy and other more senior gamers. From the forums, the anecdotal evidence is age, I'm sorry to say. While there may be things to help (breaks, well lit room, smaller field of view, etc), it may just be we have to sample different wines as we get older.
http://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5084&t=10726&p=128518

Retrology

Postby Retrology » April 22nd, 2016, 5:30 pm

Here's hoping the Cubs win a World Series at last (though I'm a Tribe fan).

Anyway, I too have recently played Metroid Prine and it actually holds up really well. The lock on feature really helps this. Love the music, Polish, and exploration.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 23rd, 2016, 5:08 pm

scotland wrote:
Herschie wrote:Unfortunately, I am one of those who can't play first-person shooters for long, lest I get motion sickness (In this case, it would actually be called simulation sickness. Look it up). I'm not the only one either.

You are not the only one.

This game and motion sickness actually had its own thread
http://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=134793&t=13314&p=135376

and the idea itself another thread, where you were joined by Dave, Ozzy and other more senior gamers. From the forums, the anecdotal evidence is age, I'm sorry to say. While there may be things to help (breaks, well lit room, smaller field of view, etc), it may just be we have to sample different wines as we get older.
http://videogamecritic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5084&t=10726&p=128518

Yeah, just a bummer, there's a lot of cool FPS (Although technically, Prime is First Person Adventure) out there that I can't play for long. I felt so left out as a kid when my friends were all able to enjoy Doom while I was stuck playing Bases Loaded.

Retrology wrote:Here's hoping the Cubs win a World Series at last (though I'm a Tribe fan).

Anyway, I too have recently played Metroid Prine and it actually holds up really well. The lock on feature really helps this. Love the music, Polish, and exploration.

Cubbies! Yeah, if it weren't for the lock-on, I'd be dead meat.

Tell you what, they weren't kidding with this hard mode.

<SPOILERS>

I tried the part in the Phazon Mines where you get the Power Bombs, and that was so tough. There were so many powerful Space Pirates that attack at once, and I kept on getting killed. I actually had to leave and go expansion hunting, and that helped. I came back with more missiles, and three more Energy Tanks, which got me through it. With each section, I kept praying for a Save Room, but it turns out that you can't get one until you get the Power Bombs. Which is what makes it so tough.

Sure was mighty satisfying to complete this part though.

<END SPOILERS>

I'm glad I started playing this again, I haven't been able to put it down. Not even to play The Show, which for me is saying something.

NintiesGeezer

Postby NintiesGeezer » April 25th, 2016, 5:30 pm

Ya' know, I really wish I had packed it (and the GameCube) when I set off to my own place.

I admit, I never was all that good at it though. Bought it in High School for about $7, crazy to think how long ago that was now.

-The Poster Formerly Known as N64Dude

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 13th, 2017, 1:13 pm

For those of you with a surround sound system, this game is an absolute must. All these eerie sound effects that come from out of nowhere.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 16th, 2018, 4:23 pm

ZomboMeme 13082018014214.jpg
ZomboMeme 13082018014214.jpg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 1299 times

Return to “Now Playing”