NFL 2K (Dreamcast)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

NFL 2K (Dreamcast)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 26th, 2016, 7:24 pm

Decided to play this oldie with Scott for the first time in a long while, and it's held up well. The graphics are a lot chunkier than I remember. We used to say it was "like watching a real football game on TV" but now that's not the case.

What makes the game great is its arcade flavor. The action is so fast and smooth. I love using the VMU to select plays, although it's not often clear which is run and which is pass.

I was really impressed with the commentary. Not only are the guys funny but they use surprisingly strong language ("he better make damn sure...") You can hear the fans shouting stuff in the background. That's awesome.

If you haven't play the NFL 2K series in a while give it a try. You'll probably enjoy it better than Madden 17.

matmico399

Re: NFL 2K (Dreamcast)

Postby matmico399 » September 27th, 2016, 11:54 am

Agreed Critic. I have NFL 2k5 on the PS2 and must say that was the last football game I really enjoyed.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 5th, 2016, 9:29 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:The graphics are a lot chunkier than I remember. We used to say it was "like watching a real football game on TV" but now that's not the case.

We're you playing on an older CRT, or were you playing on a new flat-screen? Makes a HUGE difference, though I fear I might be preaching to the choir.

And yeah, I had English class the last period when this game came out. Let me tell you, at the time with NFL 2K waiting for me, that was the longest class of my life.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 11th, 2016, 10:41 am

Graphically, this is the last "WOW" game ever made...

While it was landmark from a gameplay standpoint, I'll always remember it for the graphics. It was such a large leap from PS1 and N64--moreso than any other early Dreamcast title--that it just completely blew me away, as I saw it for the first time at my cousin's house after he got in for Christmas in 1999. Like everyone else, I thought it was like watching a real football game and I wondered "can graphics really get any better than this or have we just hit the plateau here?" While graphics have improved a lot in the past 15+ years, we've never seen that big of a leap since then and I don't think we ever will again.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » February 17th, 2018, 7:43 pm

Retro STrife wrote:Graphically, this is the last "WOW" game ever made...

While it was landmark from a gameplay standpoint, I'll always remember it for the graphics. It was such a large leap from PS1 and N64--moreso than any other early Dreamcast title--that it just completely blew me away, as I saw it for the first time at my cousin's house after he got in for Christmas in 1999. Like everyone else, I thought it was like watching a real football game and I wondered "can graphics really get any better than this or have we just hit the plateau here?" While graphics have improved a lot in the past 15+ years, we've never seen that big of a leap since then and I don't think we ever will again.

So true. I remember when I played PS4, I really couldn't much tell the difference between that and the PS3. Ironically, when I really did notice the difference was when I went back to the PS3, and all the sudden it looked like an N64 game.

As for NFL 2K, I just played this last night. Put the difficulty up to "pro", and I couldn't complete a pass to save my life! My receivers were never open because the coverage was sticking to them like glue! I hadn't completed a pass until the 4th quarter, when Ben Coates finally got open. And dang if the pass didn't bounce right off his hands! Kept on trading punts the whole game.

The key play came late in overtime. It was 0-0. Yes, no score. On 3rd and 10 (After 2 incomplete passes), Drew Bledsoe scrambled for a first down. That put me in field goal range, then the running game got me in position for a chip shot. Adam Vinatieri knocked it though, and New England won 3-0.

I don't recall it being so darn difficult to complete a pass! Unless I need a better quarterback. Now there is this guy graduating from Michigan, his name is Tom Brady. Wonder if he'll be any good?

C64_Critic

Postby C64_Critic » February 17th, 2018, 10:00 pm

I was recently 'reminded' via a web posting on Superbowl about 2K5's "25th Anniversary Mode", where the game will drop you into one of 25 of the most historically interesting situations (4th quarter, Ice Bowl: last 22 second, Immaculate Reception: etc) and see if you can win. You create a profile and then try to work your way down the list. I'm ashamed that I'm playing an NFL game out of season, but I've beat the first 5 challenges and plan on working my way down the list. It's nice to get even MORE mileage, over a decade later, out of this great game!

Ahhhh, for the day before Madden had an exclusive license and took to just mailing it in year after year...

djc

Postby djc » February 17th, 2018, 11:59 pm

NFL 2K on the Dreamcast was really good. I remember playing it for hours with my cousin. Even better was 2K1 which was the first console game we played online - and it played really well considering it was on a 56k modem.

As an aside, I recently pulled out NBA 2K for my son (who is 12) so he could see where the series got its start as he is big into NBA 2K18 on the XBox One. Aside from the obvious team questions "Wait - Seattle had a team called the Sonics?", he didn't really bat an eye at the graphics which proves that it held up really well. Of course then I had to pop in Lakers vs. Celtics (Genesis) on the Retron5 so he could laugh at it.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » May 31st, 2018, 9:30 pm

I think I'm going to dust this one off over the weekend, since I'm suddenly into football for some reason in May. What I like to do with these old games is pretend the Bears or Patriots made the playoffs, and figure out who they would have played as the 6 seed. In 1999, that would have put the Bears on the road at Washington:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/1999

Same thing with like Madden '94, I try to figure out who I would have played in the Wild Card game, since with work and all, I'll never have the time to devote to a full season.

Ain't these old games great?

Return to “Now Playing”