Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Postby Voor » March 27th, 2017, 10:47 pm

Well technically, NES Classic, which is nice because it has saves obviously, and because it keeps up with your time, which is nice for me because I'd like to start Speedrunning it.

A few thoughts after not playing it for over 20 years.

-definitely harder than SM World. I had forgotten that.
-short levels (a lot you can beat in 20 seconds if you know them well), but NO checkpoints. Again, because of the length, they aren't needed, but it's just weird.
-I remember Racoon Mario feeling sluggish as a kid, but thought it was my imagination. however, I learned from other speedrunners, that this is true--Racoon Mario has a slower horizontal velocity than the others, therefore, Fire Mario is preferred.

I'll post more thoughts later.

Gentlegamer

Re: Super Mario Bros 3 (NES)

Postby Gentlegamer » March 28th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I hate the autoscrolling airship stages.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » March 28th, 2017, 3:46 pm

Voor wrote:Well technically, NES Classic, which is nice because it has saves obviously, and because it keeps up with your time, which is nice for me because I'd like to start Speedrunning it.

A few thoughts after not playing it for over 20 years.

-definitely harder than SM World. I had forgotten that.
-short levels (a lot you can beat in 20 seconds if you know them well), but NO checkpoints. Again, because of the length, they aren't needed, but it's just weird.
-I remember Racoon Mario feeling sluggish as a kid, but thought it was my imagination. however, I learned from other speedrunners, that this is true--Racoon Mario has a slower horizontal velocity than the others, therefore, Fire Mario is preferred.

I'll post more thoughts later.

Raccoon Mario might be slower, but his controlled floatiness makes the platforming a lot easier.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » September 21st, 2017, 11:14 am

I have memories of playing this in my friend's basement. This was such a cool game, and Mario never seems to disappoint. Plus I always seem to stump people when I ask what game the Zelda Fairy Fountain theme originated.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 21st, 2017, 12:47 pm

I need a NES classic - you listening Santa !

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » September 21st, 2017, 6:22 pm

I don't have the mindset for speedruns. Not that you have to clear every single stage or anything, but I want to spend time enjoying the experience.

And I second that it is harder than super mario world, and the airship levels are exceptionally annoying.

I play this game on SNES Mario All stars pretty often, and other than the graphics, I'm curious as to the differences.

It's either Mario 2 or 3 IMO that are the best of the traditional styles. Mario 64 best of all time :) (I haven't played Galaxy yet though, so my "new mario" experience is very low.

Return to “Now Playing”