Disc Jam

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Re: Disc Jam

Postby Voor » March 30th, 2020, 11:57 am

Yeah, despite loving retro games, I’m kind of “over” this physical/digital debate. If a game is cheap, small file size, I’ll download it. If it’s a game I KNOW will get lots of play time (like a Mario Kart), I’ll download it.

If it’s an expensive game that I’m not sure I’ll want to keep, I’ll buy it physically.

While I like physical things (I still mostly use CDs), having the game just “there” on my console is really really nice.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 30th, 2020, 12:07 pm

Gotta admit, out of all the threads I've made over the past five years, this is the last one I'd have expected to get necromanced.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 30th, 2020, 11:08 pm

Voor wrote:Anyone playing this? Looking for a cheap online multiplayer game to play with family when we’re tired of rocket league.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Gotta admit, out of all the threads I've made over the past five years, this is the last one I'd have expected to get necromanced.

Ha, not only that DaHeck, but all this Disc Jam talk finally inspired me to play the game on my PS4 tonight. I played the tutorial and a few rounds so far.

@Voor, my initial thoughts: First, note that it is a multiplayer-only game. So you can play singles or doubles, either online or local. But there is no single-player mode at all, except the training area. So if you buy it, it has to be to play online or with friends. In terms of gameplay, it is 100% a modern version of Windjammers. It is modernized and has more moves involved, but it's the exact same concept as Windjammers. If you like Windjammers, you'd probably like Disc Jam too. But otherwise, at $15 for the download, it might be a tough sell. Either way, it probably won't have the longevity for you that Rocket League did.

For another sports-themed game (like Rocket League and Disc Jam), you could also check out Laser League. I've never played it, but reviews make it sound like a good game.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 31st, 2020, 7:54 am

I was told about a game called Roller Champions, which looks like pretty cool.

https://youtu.be/zepRDl0cF2A

Voor

Postby Voor » April 27th, 2020, 8:59 pm

Retro STrife wrote:
Voor wrote:Thanks. Yeah, my fear is that it’s interest would be short lived.

I’ll check out overcooked. It has online multiplayer?

Also, what about Killer Queen Black? I know it’s very very popular in arcades, but I seems kind of complicated.

Yeah, I actually think Windjammers is like that too. Like I know a lot of Neo Geo fans swear by it, but I can’t get anyone interested in it when they come over! The fighting games and Metal Slug win out every time.. and I sorta feel the same, so I can’t blame them.

As for Overcooked- great game. I’ve only played the 1st one. That one is just couch co-op. However, Overcooked 2 has online play, in addition to couch co-op. The series is one of the best couch co-op games on modern consoles, and it works well with 2, 3, or 4 players. The game is meant to be cooperative, as all players are on the same team. You make meals with your teammates, in a race against the clock. It can get stressful in the later stages, and annoyed words might be exchanged among partners, but it’s all part of the fun. I got bored towards the end of the missions, but it was fun while it lasted.

Got overcooked today for $7. It’s a fun little game that one of kids really liked right away and I think the other will too. I like how the concept and controls are uber simple, which allows you and your teammates the ability to communicate, and it really focuses on that part of the game. We were talking and laughing the whole time. I don’t think it’s something I’d play by myself, or for very long (because it’s so chaotic) but I’m glad we made the purchase.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » April 28th, 2020, 1:39 pm

Voor wrote:
Retro STrife wrote:
Voor wrote:Got overcooked today for $7. It’s a fun little game that one of kids really liked right away and I think the other will too. I like how the concept and controls are uber simple, which allows you and your teammates the ability to communicate, and it really focuses on that part of the game. We were talking and laughing the whole time. I don’t think it’s something I’d play by myself, or for very long (because it’s so chaotic) but I’m glad we made the purchase.

Good to hear! Hard to turn it down for just $7. Overcooked really excels in two situations: #1- With 3 players. So hard to find a good 3-player game these days and Overcooked is a solid option. And #2, Playing with a non-gamer or casual gamer. It's a great game with kids or significant others. I was looking for a game to play with my wife and it worked perfect for that. Sounds like your situation fits the bill perfectly too. For single-player or when playing with serious gamers, there's probably better options out there. But it's a fun party game while it lasts.

Return to “Now Playing”