NHL '94 (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

NHL '94 (SNES)

Postby Herschie » March 9th, 2018, 10:19 am

There are definitive sports game for most systems. Like Tecmo Super Bowl and Bases Loaded were the definitive games in their respective sports for the NES. Some might argue between Madden and ESPN NFL 2K5 for the PS2. Personally, I preferred Madden.

But NHL '94 is different. You see, I would say that it's not only THE definitive hockey game of the 16-bit era, but rather of all time. Because in playing this, I don't see what more you need out of a hockey game. The sounds are fantastic, the controls are spot-on, and it's just overall a fun game. You really don't need a hockey game!

Plus, there's no debate like there was on the NES, when there were brawls on the playground between the Ice Hockey crowd and the Blades of Steel crowd. Being in 1st grade, I remember making a Kindergartner eat an ant because he liked Blades of Steel. Unfortunately, his brother was in 5th grade and stuffed me in a trash can, not because of me picking on his brother, but because I liked Ice Hockey.

By the time I got to 6th grade in 1994, this game was out, and there was finally peace!

lynchie137

Re: NHL '94 (SNES)

Postby lynchie137 » March 22nd, 2018, 7:35 pm

Have to respectfully disagree with you on that one. While NHL '94 is a fine game, to me, the definitive hockey game of the 16 bit era will always be NHL '96 for the Sega Genesis, as it improved and perfected upon everything that was good about the previous versions of the NHL series put out by EA Sports and added key features like a full season mode, full stats, a smarter A.I opponent,create a player mode and of course, fights. All features that were absent from '94. Imho, not only was it the best hockey game of the era, it's one of the best period.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 26th, 2023, 12:40 am

I can't get over how great this game is! I'm not even a huge hockey fan, in fact, I only really watch the Blackhawks when they're in the playoffs. But the sheer simplicity, yet realism (For 1993), and overall FUN this is! It's not over the top, but it's enough. And I was quickly able to figure out the controls sufficiently to eke out a 3-2 win over New Jersey. All while doing my Harry Caray impression going "HOLY COW!" with all three goals.

Now I wish I'd have acted better as a kid so that I could have had some leverage when asking my mom for this.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » April 26th, 2023, 3:52 pm

Herschie wrote:Plus, there's no debate like there was on the NES... between the Ice Hockey crowd and the Blades of Steel crowd.

You're right, there is no debate - because Blades of Steel is the best :P

lynchie137 wrote:...to me, the definitive hockey game of the 16 bit era will always be NHL '96 for the Sega Genesis...

I agree, wholeheartedly!

I appreciate the entire run of Genesis NHL games, and '93 - '96 really offered something a little bit different each year. When I run into other 16-bit hockey fans, I'm always curious what their favorite year was. Some like '93 for the fighting and real players, or '94 for the real teams and one-timers, or '95 for the stat-tracking and season options, or '96 for the revamped visuals and gameplay. I think '96 represented the culmination of the entire series, but the earlier games have their merits, too. You really can't go wrong with any of them!

Herschie wrote:...I only really watch the Blackhawks when they're in the playoffs...

Say it ain't so, Herschie! Do you at least listen to the games on WGN Radio, during the regular season?

Return to “Now Playing”