Wii: Goldeneye, Mario Kart Wii

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Voor

Wii: Goldeneye, Mario Kart Wii

Postby Voor » April 3rd, 2018, 10:06 am

I picked these up a while back, but didn’t give them a fair shake until I had a chance to try them with something other than the Wii controllers. I finally grabbed a GameCube controller and Ahhhhhh, much better!

MK Wii—I haven’t played 8, but lots experience with the others, most recently MK7 on 3DS. This feels a LOT like that one, but naturally, a bit better. MK7 had a few gimmicks that annoyed me—specifically the flying and underwater sections, and the coins. Glad to see them removed, and glad to see the customization of carts rolled back too. I’ve never really been into all that—the strengths/ weaknesses of the characters is plenty for me.

Of course, this version is known for the overuse of weapons, but it wasn’t as bad as I expected. The CPU carts tend to stay bunched up and keep up fairly well, so if you get hit, you can fall back a few spots instantly. That doesn’t bother me—adds to the challenge.

Haven’t played multiplayer, but I’m sure it’s on par with the others. I noticed that my favorite tracks are the retro ones...the news ones aren’t bad, but I think the tracks from Double Dash were outstanding and hard to top, without just making them more chaotic.

Goldeneye—the original was the first FPS I really played. All the others before it (like Doom) were just to aggressive for me. Goldeneye 64 has a certain finesse that appealed to me right away. I’m only a couple of levels in, but I feel like the single player campaign has the spirit of the first one, but updated. Really enjoying it so far, and excited to see how it plays out. Haven’t checked out multiplayer, but I definitely will. I loved multiplayer in 64, but we always went with the “licensed to kill”, aka one shot, variant. I hope this one has that variation.

One major complaint: the game is DARK. I cranked the brightness on the game and my TV and some parts are still too dark to make out—I often have to rely on the map to figure out if there is a path or not. I admit that this has been pretty frustrating.
Last edited by Voor on April 3rd, 2018, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stalvern

Re: Wii: Goldeneye, Mario Kart Wii

Postby Stalvern » April 3rd, 2018, 11:01 am

Nothing was "removed" or "rolled back" from Mario Kart 7 to Mario Kart Wii - the Wii game was released three years earlier. As for the actual successor to Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8 doubles down on the things that you dislike about the 3DS game.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » April 4th, 2018, 9:49 am

Stalvern wrote:Nothing was "removed" or "rolled back" from Mario Kart 7 to Mario Kart Wii - the Wii game was released three years earlier. As for the actual successor to Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8 doubles down on the things that you dislike about the 3DS game.

Yep. I agree that Nintendo overdid it with all that crap. That's why MK Wii, DS, and Double Dash are my favorites, because it feels the most like good, pure racing.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » April 4th, 2018, 1:46 pm

My perception of MKWii has always been that it was the most aggressively non-competitive game in the series.

DS and Double Dash, however, are on the opposite end of the spectrum, with DS representing the most technique-based (perhaps to a fault).

I like how well they integrated drift boosting into 7 and 8 as a mainstream mechanic. I mean, it’s always been there since 64 but I felt that the way it was implemented in the recent games made it more accessible. I really can’t think of a single thing I disliked about 8.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 7th, 2018, 10:48 am

I've had the Xbox 360 version of Goldeneye on my "to-buy" list for years and finally bought it last week. My understanding is that it's nearly identical to the Wii version, but just upgraded a bit.

I have to say, I'm pretty disappointed. When they called this a remake, I figured the game would be very similar to the N64 game, but just updated to modern graphics and gameplay conventions. Instead, it seems more like a complete reimagining of the game. It feels completely different from the N64 original. As a FPS, there are much better options than this, so nostalgia is the only thing that could drive me to enjoy it, but I'm not feeling it here.

The first level was my favorite in the N64 game and I played it a ton, so it was disappointing that the remade first level seems completely different, except for a couple nods to the original here and there. For a lot of people, the reimagining is probably a good thing, especially if you're a fan of the movie. But as someone that was hoping for some N64 nostalgia, I was not a fan. I have too many games in the backlog, so I'm giving up on this one already and moving on to the next.

travistouchdown

Postby travistouchdown » August 7th, 2018, 2:31 pm

I enjoyed Goldeneye on the Wii a great deal! Gameplay, sound, music, the whole experience was awesome.

I'm not sure it would be so great on the XB360 as i'm not sure the graphics would translate super well to HD.

Return to “Now Playing”