Secret of Mana (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
MSR1701

Re: Secret of Mana (SNES)

Postby MSR1701 » March 16th, 2020, 8:10 am

I never played any Mana game other than Final Fantasy Adventure; I did pick up the Switch version of Collection of Mana, and need to give it a go.

sixam

Postby sixam » March 17th, 2020, 3:45 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Got a lot more time on my hands all the sudden.

Self quarantined?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2020, 7:24 pm

Nope.

Anyway I'm at the part of the game where I'm facing two werewolves in the haunted forest and they are kicking my ass. Advice?

Also, what is the balloon that sometimes appears?

Zack Burner

Postby Zack Burner » March 17th, 2020, 8:16 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Nope.

Anyway I'm at the part of the game where I'm facing two werewolves in the haunted forest and they are kicking my ass. Advice?

Also, what is the balloon that sometimes appears?

Since you probably didn't obtain the girl beforehand, you're best advice is to restart and follow these steps to obtain and keep her or otherwise you'll just get trashed again. After leaving your character's village, make sure you head your way to the kingdom of Pandora. Here you will get kidnapped by Goblins, then rescued by the girl. When you finally reach Pandora, head for the castle and look around until you find the girl. She will join you. Next you have two options in your quest, the haunted forest or Gaia's Navel. I recommend go to haunted forest to get the dialogue that they need something to cut through, if you go to the caves first she will leave you for a while, which you don't want. Stick to the first option I mentioned and it will make fighting easier for you. Oh and keep an eye out for those annoying blobs as they multiply as well. Once you've leveled up with the girl and the sprite in tow the werewolves should be much easier to take.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 17th, 2020, 10:17 pm

I have the girl, except I split up with her and saved. So it looks like I made things harder for myself. These werewolves seen to have regenerative powers.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 18th, 2020, 10:51 am

Ah, the classic Blind Play trap...

Breath of Fire II had the Bridge at the very beginning where you could suddenly find yourself fighting foes 10+ levels above what you are already fighting, and Golden Sun didn't stop you from going straight to Imil once you got Ivan, which could easily result in a severe underlevel trip through the caves and Mercury Lighthouse. Beating it though resulted in a VERY easy Forest section...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 18th, 2020, 4:49 pm

So now I'm grinding a bit and trying to see if I can buy some items that will toughen me up.
Right now the werewolves just slice right thru me.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » March 19th, 2020, 7:21 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:So now I'm grinding a bit and trying to see if I can buy some items that will toughen me up.
Right now the werewolves just slice right thru me.

I really want to break out my Switch and play this now... Especially since the 3D remake of Trials of Mana is due next month, and I'd rather play both Secret and Trials (SNES) before that comes out...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 19th, 2020, 9:44 am

So I finally paged through the thick instructions and there's a considerable walk-thru in the back. Turns out that there are some caves I didn't scour thoroughly enough. I found a rope that transported me back to the entrance so I thought I was done. Apparently there's a blacksmith in there somewhere and other stuff.

Glad I found this, because I think I was wasting my time going up against the werewolves in my current form.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 19th, 2020, 8:51 pm

This game is so bogus. I'm back to the wolves and I should be able to beat them. But this game is so cheap. As soon as I get near one, it sucks me in, and once I take a hit it's over, because I'm paralyzed as they just beat me up until my life is gone. Guess I'll have to head back for more grinding. Grrrr

Return to “Now Playing”