Metroid (NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Metroid (NES)

Postby Herschie » June 27th, 2018, 3:06 am

In another post, I alluded to a boy named Nick who used to ride the bus with me and how I messed with him for saying Metroid was better than Zelda way back in the late '80s. Well, a few weeks later, I had Bases Loaded, but he was still on his little Metroid kick. So this time I messed with him when I put a Ho-Ho on his seat. Looked liked he pooed his pants! Well, he busted my lip open for that one. Fortunately I was able to convince the principal that he busted my lip open because I liked Bases Loaded over Metroid, and not for the Ho-Ho. He got a week's worth of detentions, and his mom took away his Metroid game. You know, we never did have much of a relationship after that.

But maybe Nick had something there, because I like this game. The music is cool, and you're always on the edge of your seat trying to figure out what to do next.

Unfortunately, that's no easy task, especially back before the internet and walkthroughs. I think we can nickname our hero "G.I. Samus", because she keeps saying "G.I. wish I had a map!". It is so easy to get lost, especially in areas like Ridley's Lair and Norfair. There are no clues whatsoever in the game. No old man to tell you that the secret lies in the tree at the dead end. Well, the instruction manual does fill you in a bit, but still.

That said, I really enjoy this game, and it's cool to see how Nintendo has built off of this classic as the years have gone by.

I wonder what Nick is up to these days?

Return to “Now Playing”