Race the Sun (Great $2 game) (PS4, XB1, Wii U, PC, etc.)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Race the Sun (Great $2 game) (PS4, XB1, Wii U, PC, etc.)

Postby Retro STrife » July 6th, 2018, 9:48 am

Here's a game I picked up on PS4 last week that I highly recommend. It's usual price is $9.99, and the gameplay might be a little too shallow for $10, but I got it on sale for $1.99 and it's well worth it at that price. It's available as a download on many systems, including PS4, Xbox One, Vita, PS3, Wii U, and PC (no Switch, sorry). It even has a VR mode on PS VR.

Race the Sun is a racing and "endless runner" style game with a concept that reminds me a lot of Outrun, in the sense that your goal is to get to a destination before time runs out rather than trying to beat other racers. In this game, you control a ship and maneuver through obstacles in an increasingly difficult string of mazes, always flying toward the sun. Your ship is solar powered, so you need the sun to survive. The graphics take a minimalist approach and the gameplay will test your focus and reflexes, but fortunately the controls are silky smooth. Your "clock" is the sun and your game ends if it sets on you, although you can collect items to prolong the daylight. The game can never be completed-- you just play for points and to see how far you can get, while leveling up and reaching mission goals along the way, and eventually you "lose" by either crashing or the sun setting (usually by crashing). Each attempt lasts no more than a few minutes. It's incredibly addicting for awhile, with the ultimate "just one more try" mentality keeping you going. The mazes are procedurally generated and each day there is a brand new maze to play... while they're all similar, no two days will ever be the same when you play this game. Other than the main mode, there is also a Labyrinth mode that you unlock after reaching Level 25 (pictured in the second photo below), and it will keep your addiction going after you tire out from the main mode.

There's not a lot to see here, and $10 might be a bit steep to pay, but Race the Sun is an awesome game for retro and arcade minded players that can keep you addicted for at least a few hours of leveling up and besting your prior runs. It's not for everyone, but if you can find it on sale, I highly recommend trying it.

20b1367ed27e212eb67d5c2647fbacb5-320-80.jpg
20b1367ed27e212eb67d5c2647fbacb5-320-80.jpg (7.97 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

hqdefault.jpg
hqdefault.jpg (25.12 KiB) Viewed 1364 times

GameOfThrones

Re: Race the Sun (Great $2 game) (PS4, XB1, Wii U, PC, etc.)

Postby GameOfThrones » November 30th, 2018, 9:50 pm

thanks I agree with everything you have put down.

Return to “Now Playing”