Rolling Thunder 1-3 (NES, Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Rolling Thunder 1-3 (NES, Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2018, 9:52 pm

I've collected all three of these over the years but only now getting a chance to review them. All I can say is WOW. All three games feature outstanding gameplay, and the graphics in the second one (marina stage) absolutely blew me away.

Still getting my feet wet but so far I'm loving it.

Sonicx9

Re: Rolling Thunder 1-3 (NES, Genesis)

Postby Sonicx9 » July 20th, 2018, 10:52 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've collected all three of these over the years but only now getting a chance to review them. All I can say is WOW. All three games feature outstanding gameplay, and the graphics in the second one (marina stage) absolutely blew me away.

Critic because you like these games a lot, you may want to pickup the upciming Namco Museum Arcade Pac for the Nintendo Switch as it includes the original Arcade versions of Rolling Thunder 1 and 2 along with other games on one Switch cart.: https://m.gamestop.com/product/nintendo ... pac/165715

And for Rolling Thunder 3, here are some usfuel cheat codes you may want to use.

CRASH 999 Bullets
RISKY Expert Mode
ANNOY Extra Lives
GREED Play as Ellen This one is one you want as it is worthy of the hottie icon critic!

Hope you will do these critic!

Sut

Postby Sut » July 21st, 2018, 2:27 am

Only played the first one in the arcades and I love it. It’s like Shinobi but with James Bond instead of ninjas (although I believe Rolling Thunder predates Shinobi).
I also have it on one of the Namco compilations.
I actually also own the second one on Mega Drive but haven’t got around to playing it yet.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 21st, 2018, 10:05 am

Sut -
Love your line "like Shinobi but with James Bond instead of ninjas" which says it all.
Might have to include in the review.

Tron

Postby Tron » July 26th, 2018, 12:56 am

I loved Rolling Thunder. I liked the speed of the game. It’s kinda slow. Good call on the Shinobi reference. It feels a lot like it. My only complaint is how weird the levels got. I enjoyed the opening stage shooting at klansmen, but the weird mutants in the cave seemed really off.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 26th, 2018, 8:49 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Sut -
Love your line "like Shinobi but with James Bond instead of ninjas" which says it all.
Might have to include in the review.

Rolling Thunder is literally the inspiration for Sega's Shinobi.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » July 28th, 2018, 1:28 am

Sut wrote:It’s like Shinobi but with James Bond instead of ninjas (although I believe Rolling Thunder predates Shinobi).

This line sucked me right in. I'm now hunting Ebay...

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » July 29th, 2018, 6:02 pm

Capcom's Code Name: Viper (NES) is also like Rolling Thunder

Arnold

Postby Arnold » August 18th, 2018, 11:10 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I've collected all three of these over the years but only now getting a chance to review them. All I can say is WOW. All three games feature outstanding gameplay, and the graphics in the second one (marina stage) absolutely blew me away.

Rolling Thunder (NES) is a downgraded port of the original arcade game.
Rolling Thunder 2 (Genesis) is even better than the arcade game, with better intro, three new stages (!!!), additional enemies (including the panthers), more bosses, more weapons, hidden bonus items, storyline scenes, expanded soundtrack, a special sound test and a password system! The two players co-op is amazing! Back in 1992 I used to play it a lot with my sister, ten years ago I used to play with my wife and now I play with my daughter. The gameplay never gets old.
Rolling Thunder 3 is a Genesis’ exclusive and also a rock-solid action game and a hidden gem for the system.

Return to “Now Playing”