Sonic Mania Plus (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ESauce

Re: Sonic Mania Plus (Switch)

Postby ESauce » July 26th, 2018, 4:32 pm

Love the music of the halfpipe, love the first 3 stages, then it just gets outrageously difficult. My favorite bonuses are the blue sphere stages from Sonic 3. They had just the right difficulty and were lots of fun. They went overboard on the difficulty of them with the later ones in Sonic Mania. You basically have to play some of the hardest ones several times to memorize them, plus have twitch reflexes to beat them. At least they are better than the emerald stages though. Why on Earth did they decide to base the emerald stages off the worst ones in the series?

I would rank the Genesis (plus Mania) Sonic emerald stages like this:

Sonic 3 (perfect all around)
Sonic and Knuckles (same type as above but not as fun. Yellow spheres are annoying.)
Sonic 1 (relaxing music, a bit frustrating at times when you go down the wrong path into an exit without warning, but overall difficulty isn’t too bad)
Sonic 2 (great potential, but difficulty ramps up too fast)
Sonic 3d Blast - (Well done but actually far too easy. I beat them all without missing once my first time playing)
Sonic Mania (get way too hard toward the end and aren’t particularly fun in the first place)
Sonic CD (trying too hard to show off the capabilities of the system and not trying hard enough to be fun)

VicViper

Postby VicViper » July 28th, 2018, 12:04 pm

ESauce wrote:Love the music of the halfpipe, love the first 3 stages, then it just gets outrageously difficult. My favorite bonuses are the blue sphere stages from Sonic 3. They had just the right difficulty and were lots of fun. They went overboard on the difficulty of them with the later ones in Sonic Mania. You basically have to play some of the hardest ones several times to memorize them, plus have twitch reflexes to beat them. At least they are better than the emerald stages though. Why on Earth did they decide to base the emerald stages off the worst ones in the series?

I would rank the Genesis (plus Mania) Sonic emerald stages like this:

Sonic 3 (perfect all around)
Sonic and Knuckles (same type as above but not as fun. Yellow spheres are annoying.)
Sonic 1 (relaxing music, a bit frustrating at times when you go down the wrong path into an exit without warning, but overall difficulty isn’t too bad)
Sonic 2 (great potential, but difficulty ramps up too fast)
Sonic 3d Blast - (Well done but actually far too easy. I beat them all without missing once my first time playing)
Sonic Mania (get way too hard toward the end and aren’t particularly fun in the first place)
Sonic CD (trying too hard to show off the capabilities of the system and not trying hard enough to be fun)

If you haven't yet, wait till you play the Special Stages from Encore mode in Mania.

I only had difficulties in the 5th Special Stage of Mania mode, it wasn't really hard, and I got all the Emeralds rather early on my first try.

Encore mode though? Yikes.
It KICKS you in the nuts as early as the first Special Stage.

Still, if I had to rank them, it'd be pretty much the opposite of your ranking:

Sonic Mania (love them) > Sonic CD (love them too) > Sonic 1 (I like them, though I'm getting PTSD cause of Sonic 4's Sp. Stages nowadays which are f-ing annoying) > Sonic 3&K (urgh) > Sonic 2 (haaaaaaaate)

Sonic 3D Blast notwithstanding, haven't played enough to judge. The Saturn version looks like a good version of Sonic 2's special stages.

Sut

Postby Sut » July 31st, 2018, 6:59 am

Is this worth purchasing for those who have the original Sonic Mania (outside the physical format of course).

VicViper

Postby VicViper » July 31st, 2018, 12:47 pm

Sut wrote:Is this worth purchasing for those who have the original Sonic Mania (outside the physical format of course).

If you already have Sonic Mania, Sonic Mania Plus can be downloaded as DLC for 5 bucks. (I had it for free cause I used my Nintendo Points on it)

Like any DLC, it's worth it if you play & like the base game enough.
The new mode & the new characters are a good enough reason.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2018, 10:55 am

So I was playing and it said "1 life" at the bottom of the screen. So I did and it says Game Over?! Did Sega forget how to program video games?

Return to “Now Playing”