T & C Surf Designs (NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

T & C Surf Designs (NES)

Postby Herschie » July 23rd, 2018, 7:30 pm

This was the "cool" game of the late 1980s, at least on the street I grew up on. In the morning, I would go over to my neighbor's house before and after school where they babysat me until I got home. They had a boy a year older than me who had this game. But we never really clicked. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I finished and saved his Zelda game while he was sleeping, or the strategically-placed marbles I left for him to step on. Never did had much of a relationship.

We did have this game, which had neither a save file, nor marbles. Now, it must be true that we look at the past through a rose-colored lens because in all reality, this isn't a very special game. You skate, and you surf for a high score. Although there are obstacles, and there is a learning curve. That said, it was mighty satisfying when I finally got the controls down, especially for the surfing.

Speaking of surfing, I had to look up how to play, because it's all but impossible to figure out. Apparently if you hold B at the top of the wave, you can perform a jump. I would tap B, but that had my character hating life under a huge wave. No, you have to hold B. Now this is fun for awhile, but let me tell you, your least-favorite animal will be a seagull once you've got the hang of this. They come at seemingly random times, and like to slow down and linger around right where you're about to land. Once again, your surfer is hating life under a huge wave.

And if you press A, you lean forward. This is also useful for doing turns at the top of the wave, and earning Ying-Yang symbols that are the equivalent to hears in "The Legend of Zelda". After doing this for awhile, guess what? I actually completed a couple courses!

This is knowledge that would have been useful many years ago, kind of like how I wish I knew that it wasn't reasonable for me to leave a snot rag on a girl's dress in third grade, then expect her to want to date me in ninth grade. Can't say my wife likes it any better when I miss the trash can with my Kleenex these days.

ActRaiser

Re: T & C Surf Designs (NES)

Postby ActRaiser » July 24th, 2018, 10:26 pm

I got to admit, I love reading your takes on games. They are always humorous and personable. Well done.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » July 24th, 2018, 11:01 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I got to admit, I love reading your takes on games. They are always humorous and personable. Well done.

Thanks, I really appreciate the compliment. Always was a royal pain when I was a kid. Nowadays, I'm the drinking catalyst of the neighborhood. I'll be out with the dog, and everyone I run into, I get them drinking.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » July 27th, 2018, 5:43 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I got to admit, I love reading your takes on games. They are always humorous and personable. Well done.

I second that. I'm familiar with T & C, but have never played it. Still, I enjoyed reading your take on it Herschie.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 12th, 2024, 2:25 pm

There are some games that should not be played when you have things to do. I started playing this on my lunch, and three hours later I had some explaining to do to my boss. I was going to say I had a stomach ache from the French onion dip I had for breakfast, but I already used that excuse last week when I was napping on the job.

Hopefully she believed that my elderly crippled pug got away and I had to go chase him.
20240112_132049.jpg
20240112_132049.jpg (440.07 KiB) Viewed 924 times

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2024, 10:36 am

Great personalized review, but I gotta call you out for being seasonally incorrect!

I would never play this game with snow outside!

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » January 15th, 2024, 11:48 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Great personalized review, but I gotta call you out for being seasonally incorrect!

I would never play this game with snow outside!

Maybe time to revisit Heavy Shreddin!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2024, 12:57 pm

mdb - I like where your head's at! I'm on the case.

mbd36

Postby mbd36 » January 15th, 2024, 1:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:mdb - I like where your head's at! I'm on the case.

Kickle Cubicle is a wintery NES puzzle game that you might want to take a look at. Sort of like an easier, more arcadey Adventures of Lolo.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » January 15th, 2024, 8:39 pm

mbd36 wrote:Maybe time to revisit Heavy Shreddin!

I think he needs to play:
c_-zEy27_400x400.jpg
c_-zEy27_400x400.jpg (17.36 KiB) Viewed 742 times

Return to “Now Playing”