Uncharted 4... isn't a game

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Gentlegamer

Uncharted 4... isn't a game

Postby Gentlegamer » August 3rd, 2018, 4:00 pm

Currently playing Uncharted 4, and so far, it isn't even a game. You just watch cut scenes, then have guided walks with NPCs talking while you "platform" on the obvious hand holds, then have a brief shoot out that ends with a scripted interruption.

I played the previous three and this aspect applies to them, but I don't remember them being this 'constrained' to the narrative, it at least felt like the environments and puzzles had something to figure out, some kind of player agency required. But so far, Uncharted 4 has none.

Sut

Re: Uncharted 4... isn't a game

Postby Sut » August 3rd, 2018, 4:57 pm

It does get better trust me and opens into more traditional Uncharted territory (I presume your talking about the young Nate missions ?).

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 3rd, 2018, 5:15 pm

Sut wrote:It does get better trust me and opens into more traditional Uncharted territory (I presume your talking about the young Nate missions ?).

I just started Scotland.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 3rd, 2018, 8:40 pm

Uncharted 4 was the first game I played in the series, and loved it. I thought it had a great story and enjoyed the cutscenes (even if a few do run too long). Then again, Metal Gear Solid is my favorite series so you know I can live with lengthy cutscenes.

I recently tried Uncharted 2 - which has less story - and I did not like it quite as much as Uncharted 4. Actually, the story is probably the main thing that made me like Uncharted 4 more.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 3rd, 2018, 9:23 pm

I agree that games like this have a tendency to hold you hand a little too much in the early going. I guess it's necessary to establish characters and the plot. But yeah, I think it does get better.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 14th, 2018, 7:09 pm

I finished Uncharted 4 a few days ago, and it's very clear the devs spent most of their time blocking out their mo-capped cut scenes. There's not a single memorable set piece combat in the whole game, not even any that use interesting scripting to get that action adventure movie feel.

Uncharted 2 is the only game in the series that gets it right, and is the only one I would recommend to anyone.

Hagane

Postby Hagane » August 15th, 2018, 2:43 pm

I'm playing Uncharted Golden Abyss and I understand you.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » August 16th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Maybe the slow start to the game is also due to developers wanting to show off the technical prowess of the system, and ways you can interact with the environment?

I've only played the first three games in the series. Uncharted 2 was the most memorable in the series for me, and I remember that getting off to a slow start, and there being more interaction with the snowy environment. The interaction felt more like a point-and-click adventure, as it just had you make simple movements. Took a while to get into the action.

Return to “Now Playing”