Madden 19 (Playstation 4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Re: Madden 19 (Playstation 4)

Postby Herschie » October 9th, 2018, 11:00 pm

One thing I like to do in Madden is play a season on All-Madden, then figure out which exploits I can use to win. I figure that since the computer cheats like hell on All-Madden, then there's no-holds barred when it comes to money plays and nano-blitzes.

Seldom do I look at any offensive plays, I like defense! This year I figured it out on my own, and I only use one play on defense: 46 Normal, Inside Blitz. I set the guy covering the runningback to a blitz, then if you notice, one of the middle linebackers creeps close to the line. The one who does not creep closer, change him to man-coverage on the runningback, or anyone, for that matter. Slightly the L stick in the direction of the A-gap, not enough so he moves, but once the QB snaps it, he comes flying through that A-gap like a bullet.

I ended up getting 12 sacks a game, numerous shutouts, and made it to the playoffs as an 11-5 Wild Card team. Beat the Rams, then went to Detroit and knocked off the Lions. Finally, I took home the NFC Championship on a cold afternoon in Philadelphia.

Then, get this; I won the Super Bowl without passing once. Not one single time! If it was 3rd and 8, that's ok, I'm running. I trust my defense, and the only way I'm losing is with some turnover. I ended up winning 41-0. Without throwing a single pass.

It helps that the coverage is much better this year, which is why I don't like passing very often. Passing brings nothing but trouble in this game.

Bears ready to do this in the Wild Card game:

I guess you can say that they got it done!

Trubisky got hurt in the NFC Divisional game in Detroit, but Chase Daniel is just as capable at handing off:

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 10th, 2018, 2:13 am

Dude, I love your posts. Even though Hawkey season has started, and my attention has largely drifted away from the NFL, hearing about your exploits in Madden has been entertaining, to say the very least. As a lifelong fan of both the Chicago Bears and football video games, I feel like I can relate to a lot of the points you tend to bring up.

For starters, I, as well, tend to only use one or two defensive plays. This stems from my Tecmo Bowl days, as I would usually pick the same pass defense play over and over. I'd control Mike Singletary on defense, and if the other team tried to run, I would always be able to wrap up their running back. Likewise, if they passed, I'd either get a sack from calling the correct defensive play, or just from Samurai Mike's sheer force of will. Lots of lopsided scores against the CPU back in the day, as you can imagine.

Herschie wrote:I figure that since the computer cheats like hell on All-Madden, then there's no-holds barred when it comes to money plays and nano-blitzes.

Oh, always. Against another human player, eh, you can dial it down a notch. Against the CPU, nah, man. In the words of Coach Bricka from Mutant League Football, "Smack 'em around!"

Herschie wrote:Beat the Rams

With the Bears? In the playoffs? I thought the Madden games were supposed to be a football sim!

(Kidding, of course)

Herschie wrote:Then, get this; I won the Super Bowl without passing once. Not one single time!

I once played through the entire playoff bracket in Madden '93 doing exactly this, just to see if it were possible. I ran the QB sneak every down, no matter what. See, back in those games, your starting QB could get hurt, sure, but your backup was invincible! The sneak was guaranteed to net three or four yards every snap, so every possession became a slow, drawn-out slog down the field. Never lost a game, though. Hell, I never even trailed!

Herschie wrote:I ended up winning 41-0. Without throwing a single pass.

See above comment about Madden being a football "sim." Gotta love it, man. Find a weakness in the AI and twist that knife!

Herschie wrote: Trubisky got hurt in the NFC Divisional game in Detroit, but Chase Daniel is just as capable at handing off

Indeed. Now, if Mark Sanchez was still on the team, that would be a different story...

Ever play Mutant Football League, the newer version of Mutant League Football? The Midway Mutants (Bears) still have Sanchez on their depth chart. True to the Mutant series, his name in the game is a parody - Bark Buttfumble. Perfect. I also like that the team in the game plays in the fictional city of "Chiraq." Ouch. Ouuuuuuuuch.

The more things change, the more they stay the same, you know? As much Madden as I played way back when, I always had more fun with Mutant League, especially in two player. I'm so happy the series has been revived, so to speak, and with both Madden and MFL on the market right now, it feels like it's 1993 all over again. Not a bad thing, in my book! It's kind of the same as when the first NFL Blitz hit the scene. I had Madden. I had Blitz. I played both, and I loved both, and it was great to have an option between the two games. If we're getting back into an era where two vastly different football games can be on the market at the same time, I'm all for it :D

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » October 11th, 2018, 2:43 pm

I call the same pass play 99 percent of the time in the NFL Blitz games: "da bomb."

I usually stick to NFL Blitz, Blitz 2000, or Blitz 2001 on the PS1 when I'm in the mood to play a Blitz game. The Blitz games from the PS2 era just seem to easy. The field just feels "bigger" and it seems easier to get you receiver to roam free in the secondary to make a big pass. Even your QB can scramble around pretty easily using that same play.

There is a 2011 downloadable version of Blitz which plays pretty much the same as the ps2 game, but late hits are taken out.

I may get Mutant football league for the switch when it comes out this month. Does it play like the classic Blitz games?

Voor

Postby Voor » October 11th, 2018, 7:52 pm

A couple of years ago, I stumbled upon this streamer that would play “Tecmo Tuesday” with his 3 friends every week. They would set up some kind of random challenge and play Tecmo Bowl for hours to see who could do the best.

By chance, the first one to pop up on youtube is Chicago themed:

https://youtu.be/WSxf9kbzlFQ

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 18th, 2018, 3:34 am

Just feels as if they put the bare minimum into this game each year. I'm enjoying it, yes, but it really could be so much better.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 18th, 2018, 11:19 pm

CharlieR wrote:I may get Mutant football league for the switch when it comes out this month. Does it play like the classic Blitz games?

Similar, yes. It's probably more in line with what you described on the PS2. The fields are pretty large, but that's mostly because they're littered with environmental hazards. It's a challenge to avoid them as the plays unfold, which is the point. Late hits are also encouraged, and will usually, after a couple of plays, have the outcome of a few players getting killed. The overall game speed is pretty fast, and "dirty trick" special moves make the action that much more chaotic, and the game play that much faster.

It my opinion, MFL is the closest thing you can get to the classic Blitz series, if for nothing else that it is the only modern arcade style football game on the market right now. The game certainly has a sense of humor, but it is definitely M rated, not just for the violence, but for the things the announcers say and for some of the antics on the field. Think "Blitz: The League," and you'll have a pretty good idea of what to expect. Not a game you want to play around your kids!

Herschie wrote:Just feels as if they put the bare minimum into this game each year. I'm enjoying it, yes, but it really could be so much better.

Couldn't agree more. I haven't bought a game in the Madden series since 2006, and I'm proud of my own personal "streak." I don't even get tempted by the series anymore, honestly. They want my $60? They had better make a game worth that much money.

I feel like EA should just take the same route that 2K did with their NFL series, and just sell each new version for $20. This'll never happen, of course - heck, 2K still wants $60 for each new game in their NBA series each year. For $20, I'd say a new Madden is worth it, given how little effort the series seems to receive from its development team.

You know why they charge $60 each year? Because people keep spending that much on it, and will blindly buy each new year's version just because, you know, "it's Madden." They know their base and their target audience. It's a shame, but when you're the only NFL game in town, it's something you can get away with.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 28th, 2018, 12:29 pm

Oh, and a few other thoughts:

1) The computer still completes passes at a ridiculous rate. Drew Brees completed ten passes out of ten against me at one point. This is the norm in this game, not the exception.

2) What a god-awful soundtrack! Amateur mumble-rap anyone? Ugh! I used to like Madden's soundtrack a lot. This is actually worse than MVP 2005's playlist.

3) They over-complicated the depth chart. Now there are positions for slot defenders, and this gets confusing as heck. I had a heck of a time trying to put Dan Hampton on the left end so I could start William Perry at tackle, but I never could get it right.

Of course, all this was easily remedied when I popped Madden 2005 into my Gamecube. Now THAT was one fantastic game, and is what got me through all the stinkers EA has shoveled out over the past decade or so.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 13th, 2018, 3:11 am

Finally learned how to turn off that horrible rap music, and this game just got exponentially better!

Return to “Now Playing”