Madden 19 (Playstation 4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Madden 19 (Playstation 4)

Postby Herschie » August 11th, 2018, 3:54 pm

Ok, I love this game! To be able to pull me away from MLB: The Show is definitely saying something. For years, Madden has been subpar, and what I mean by "for years" is ever since Madden 06 on the 360. So for over a decade. But not this one. I'm really enjoying Madden 19!

The first thing I noticed is how stunning the graphics are. EA made great use of both HDR and 4K, as this is the best looking sports game I have ever seen in my life! I'm guessing it also had something to do with the Frostbite engine.

Big deal, right? Bet it's the same old Madden gameplay-wise! Not at all. This is what takes some time to notice. One thing your defense actually does is *gasp* cover! Yes, that's right. They actually knock away passes and cover people correctly. So you won't see someone like Joe Flacco or Ryan Tannehill go 22 of 24 anymore. But they're not unrealistic either. Interceptions happen only on the most boneheaded of passes. Typically the defense will knock down the pass instead, so you never feel as if you got robbed. Still, Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady will pull that rabbit out of a hat on 3rd and 19 ever so often, but that happens in real life.

So this is definitely the year of the defense. Which is good, I always love pitching, and in the case of football, defense. Madden 19 shows what EA can do if they actually want a good game.

Some of these images don't do the game justice, you really do have to see it in HDR 4K.

A 3:00 ballgame at Soldier Field:

Dolphins getting shlacked:

A dreary November afternoon at Heinz Field

Baltimore fans in the snow were hoping for some relief after the miserable season turned in by the Orioles:

Gronk doing what Gronk does!

jon

Re: Madden 19 (Playstation 4)

Postby jon » August 11th, 2018, 5:04 pm

I was at my friend's yesterday, and he was playing Madden 19, and he was having a blast. I couldn't help but look at the screen for a couple seconds and it looked good. Like, I hadn't seen a football game look like this.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2018, 7:08 pm

I was actually thinking about skipping this year, but now I may reconsider.
Thanks for the review and screenshots!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 12th, 2018, 4:42 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was actually thinking about skipping this year, but now I may reconsider.
Thanks for the review and screenshots!

Was there anything in particular that you wanted to see? I would be more than happy to show some footage if you're on the fence.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » August 14th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Is there any kind of "arcade mode" in Madden? The last one I tried to play was 2005 and it was incomprehensible to me, it went way too far on the sim side.

I'm just fine downloading yearly updates for Tecmo Super Bowl from tecmobowl.org

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 17th, 2018, 6:38 am

Gentlegamer wrote:Is there any kind of "arcade mode" in Madden? The last one I tried to play was 2005 and it was incomprehensible to me, it went way too far on the sim side.

I'm just fine downloading yearly updates for Tecmo Super Bowl from tecmobowl.org

Haha I love Tecmo Super Bowl. And yes there's an arcade mode.

But holy hell that soundtrack is brutal!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 26th, 2018, 9:34 pm

I was just playing this and it's pretty good. It looks to me like they stripped out a lot of money-making crap and the result is a more streamlined user experience. Agree?

I opted for the arcade mode (it asks your preference when you begin) and I like the dynamite, uptempo style. It's very easy to break a long run now.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 29th, 2018, 7:36 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was just playing this and it's pretty good. It looks to me like they stripped out a lot of money-making crap and the result is a more streamlined user experience. Agree?

A thousand times, yes! I hate all that ultimate team garbage they have in games like Madden and The Show. I wish they'd concentrate on the actual game and franchise.

VideoGameCritic wrote:I opted for the arcade mode (it asks your preference when you begin) and I like the dynamite, uptempo style. It's very easy to break a long run now.

I never really tried it until the other day since I'm a simulation guy, but I really liked how it played.

First game I decided to play was from November 24th, 1991. Now if anyone had any suspicions that I wasn't a very bright kid, I'm about to erase all doubt. That afternoon, the Bears played Miami at a snowy Soldier Field. I wasn't watching the first half, I was sledding with my friends. The first thing that wasn't smart was the fact that the sled hill led right into a creek, although most of the time we were able to stop ourselves. Most of the time.

The second thing that wasn't very smart was the stairs my friends wanted me to sled down. At first I was a little nervous, but after telling me how cool I'd look, I decided to give it a go. I had one of those saucer sleds that I sat down on, and away I went. Bam! My butt hit the first step. Bam! Bam! Bam! This was maybe about 25 steps. My tailbone never hurt so bad in my entire life!

Anyway, I made it home after that, put my feet in front of the heater, since that creek water was mighty cold. I then tried to sit down the best I could to watch the second half of the Bears game. What actually happened was late in the game, Bears punter Maury Buford had his punt blocked deep in Bears territory after a bad snap, and, well, Dan Marino didn't waste too many golden opportunities. The Dolphins tied it, and Bears kicker Kevin Butler missed a 50 yarder that would have won it. I'm sure you all figured out that Miami won it in overtime.

So now I was butthurt over the Bears, on top of my butt literally hurting. And no, I didn't score any cool points for that little stunt. Still was the same nerdy 4th grader.

I did, however, manage to beat Miami 24-21 in Madden!

Mike Tomczak is a little miffed at his offensive line, 1990:

jon

Postby jon » August 29th, 2018, 8:07 pm

Ok, now seeing Danny Boy in the old Dolphins jerseys almost brought a tear to my eye. Those are the REAL Dolphins jerseys.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » August 29th, 2018, 9:31 pm

jon wrote:Ok, now seeing Danny Boy in the old Dolphins jerseys almost brought a tear to my eye. Those are the REAL Dolphins jerseys.

Yes! I don't really care for the new ones. I remember I had both Marino's white and colored jerseys, despite being a Patriots fan. T

If Dan Marino thought he was having a rotten afternoon, all he had to do was wait two weeks to see what the Bears were about to do to Tony Eason and Steve Grogan, January 12th, 1986:

Return to “Now Playing”