Grand Theft Auto V

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
matmico399

Grand Theft Auto V

Postby matmico399 » August 16th, 2018, 10:46 pm

So years after it's release I finally picked this up after doing away with IV. I'm only about an hour in but I have to agree with Dave this game is pretty foul. I mean how many F bombs can You fit in a sentence should be it's real title. I mean good gosh, it sounds like teenagers wrote the script.

I'm only an hour in so I really can't judge too much. But in the hour I played this seems very sophomoric compared to IV. Your thoughts?

Herschie

Re: Grand Theft Auto V

Postby Herschie » August 16th, 2018, 11:56 pm

I only bought this game because my wife won't let me go to strip clubs.

matmico399

Postby matmico399 » August 17th, 2018, 2:38 pm

LOL

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 17th, 2018, 3:43 pm

Good timing for me, as I just started this one as well, maybe a month back. I'm at 20% complete, after maybe 10-15 hours of gameplay, although a lot of that time is spent just goofing around. I've played all the main GTA games, but Vice City is the last one that I really enjoyed. I beat all the PS2 games, but gave up on GTA IV.. it just never hooked. But I think this one is definitely a step up from IV, with a much more interesting world and characters. I'm liking it so far, and I think I'll stick this one out. And love it or hate it, I can't think of any game ever made with this level of attention to detail.

But you're probably right about the juvenile treatment of adult themes, like the VGC's review noted. I find a lot of the cutscenes to be entertaining and funny, but some things do go overboard. Meanwhile, my wife usually watches me play games in the living room, but this one is harder for her to stomach. She's sticking it out for now, but she's ready for me to move on to something else. And I wasn't quite as fortunate as Herschie. "But I'm a completionist!!" was not a winning argument to explain to my wife why I was trying out the GTA strip club....

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » August 18th, 2018, 2:21 pm

I am no prude but the overuse of f bombs in this game got annoying. While use of expletives can add a level of realism, humor, or be utilized to hammer home a point, I do hate gratuitous use of it. The in-game dialogue does not require every second word to start with F. Anyway, this game is pretty mediocre for me, I am no big fan of the GTA series. 99% of my my gaming from Vice City to GTA V has gravitated to free roaming, mindless play and killing time. The story and quests... meh ..... Related to GTA, I far prefer Red Dead Redemption and will likely pick up number 2 when it comes out later this year.

Return to “Now Playing”