Return of Double Dragon (SNES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Return of Double Dragon (SNES)

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 31st, 2018, 8:49 pm

I like this! This NEW SNES cartridge gives you a side-scrolling brawler originally released in Japan in 1992. The animation is a little slow but the controls are rich. There are plenty of moves and weapons to experiment with. Once a guy tried to put me, so I grabbed his arm, twisted it to hold him in place, and then tossed him over my shoulder into another thug.

As a bonus, comes with a red cartridge, glossy manual, and glossy box.

Can't wait to try the two-player mode.

Sonicx9

Re: Return of Double Dragon (SNES)

Postby Sonicx9 » September 1st, 2018, 1:13 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I like this! This NEW SNES cartridge gives you a side-scrolling brawler originally released in Japan in 1992. The animation is a little slow but the controls are rich. There are plenty of moves and weapons to experiment with. Once a guy tried to put me, so I grabbed his arm, twisted it to hold him in place, and then tossed him over my shoulder into another thug.

As a bonus, comes with a red cartridge, glossy manual, and glossy box.

Can't wait to try the two-player mode.

Critic, in case you did not noticed, it was released in the US under the name Super Double Dragon, and if I recall, you did review that version and did not like it with a D- grade, but the version you are talking about is the superior Japanese Directors cut version called Return of Double Dragon that makes many improvements from the vanilla western release version.: https://tcrf.net/Super_Double_Dragon And because the Japanese version was in English, they got the rights to the game, and re-released it as a SNES American cart for western buyers like you. Also if you do the review it, will you also re-review the Super Double Dragon version to compare with this incarnation as the Super Famicom Japanese version puts the western version to shame?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 1st, 2018, 10:28 am

Okay so now I feel a little stupid. Didn't remember the Super Double Dragon review. I will have review both of those together!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 1st, 2018, 8:45 pm

So I played Super Double Dragon today and once again I was not impressed! Still in D territory.

So what's the difference? Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1CTjtym3o

Besides a myriad of little things, I think the balancing of the difficulty is much better in Return. For example, clearing the guys in the early elevator stage takes forever in Super, and it's aggravating. Return seems to flow better.

Still, it's early. More to come.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 1st, 2018, 11:12 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I played Super Double Dragon today and once again I was not impressed! Still in D territory.

So what's the difference? Check out this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD1CTjtym3o

Besides a myriad of little things, I think the balancing of the difficulty is much better in Return. For example, clearing the guys in the early elevator stage takes forever in Super, and it's aggravating. Return seems to flow better.

Still, it's early. More to come.

One thing to consider is the Japanese Return version had more time then the US version which was rushed to be released first: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Double_Dragon It was a week release gap so Japanese version had more time to fix/improve and refine things from the US version, also cut content made it way in the Japanese version, so yes the Japanese version was superior in the end. But then again, not the first time the US got screwed over, see Rushing Beat Ran vs Brawl Brothers where the Japanese release was better, but because the US cart has the Japanese version via a code, it was a large help for the better for western fans.

Sut

Postby Sut » September 2nd, 2018, 10:24 am

Sonicx9 wrote:but the version you are talking about is the superior Japanese Directors cut version called Return of Double Dragon that makes many improvements from the vanilla western release version.

This is good information thanks Sonicx9 !

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 2nd, 2018, 11:00 am

Played most of the way through Return last night, and I can attest it's MUCH better than Super Double Dragon. Still not a great game (a little slow) but certainly respectable. Still need to try the 2P mode. Working on the review.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 2nd, 2018, 8:44 pm

Sut wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:but the version you are talking about is the superior Japanese Directors cut version called Return of Double Dragon that makes many improvements from the vanilla western release version.

This is good information thanks Sonicx9 !

I know this from the Double Dragon Dojo as I played the Super Famicom rom and SNES roms and the difference is obvious.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Played most of the way through Return last night, and I can attest it's MUCH better than Super Double Dragon. Still not a great game (a little slow) but certainly respectable. Still need to try the 2P mode. Working on the review.

This is going to be similar to the Brawl Brothers aka Rushing Beat Ran situation as the western release was screwed over and the Japan release got it better and it shows.

Return to “Now Playing”