Mario Kart 8 (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Mario Kart 8 (Switch)

Postby Herschie » September 23rd, 2018, 4:30 pm

I really hope that this isn't it for Mario Kart on the Switch! How lazy can they be? First Nintendo doesn't give us any exclusive Zelda for the Wii U, now this. Not that it's a bad game or anything, but considering the graphics are slightly better than the Wii U version, I really feel we ought to get something more.

Plus, I don't like the way the series is headed. First off, I miss being able to bump people off the edge. Seems like now you're not able to do that nearly as effectively as you were for MK Wii and DS. It was so satisfying hitting someone with a red shell, then being able to know them off a bridge.

Another thing, I hate coins! I think it really distracts from trying to win the race, and they over-complicate things. I wish we had the option to turn them off entirely, since I don't think that collecting them adds much at all.

That said, I like this game. Online is cool, and I love how they show the country's flag next to the people you're racing against. It really makes it feel like you're racing for your country. No way in hell I'm going to let that guy from Japan beat me! Whattaya mean two more Japanese just passed me up?

Let's hope that they release Mario Kart 9 for the Switch!

USA! USA! USA!

Sut

Re: Mario Kart 8 (Switch)

Postby Sut » September 24th, 2018, 3:33 pm

I played Switch for the first time round a friends house last week. Smart bit of kit this is of course the game we played.
I did enjoy it but my usual criticism of Nintendo systems applies - haven’t we been playing this for years ?
Mario Kart only seems to slightly Evolve and it don’t look that much better than Mario Kart Wii. And people complain about Call of Duty.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 25th, 2018, 10:33 am

I’ve been playing MK Wii a lot lately and I really enjoy it. Shame I can’t play online though.

Anyway, I enjoyed the online play of MK7, but I too hate the coins.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » October 1st, 2018, 4:09 pm

I mean, they did add an actual battle mode this time around, and they brought back the double item boxes from Double Dash, so I would definitely recommend this over the inferior Wii U version.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 1st, 2018, 11:26 pm

LoganRuckman wrote:I mean, they did add an actual battle mode this time around, and they brought back the double item boxes from Double Dash, so I would definitely recommend this over the inferior Wii U version.

Very true, thanks for mentioning. How quickly I forget!

Return to “Now Playing”