Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 36)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Alucard1191

Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 36)

Postby Alucard1191 » October 7th, 2018, 8:31 pm

I finally have a functioning Xbox 360, and the only game I've purchased on it is this ultimate genesis collection.

And let me say... it is absolutely A+.

The games look good, the HDMI conversion looks good, all the pixels are nice and sharp. And while the screen is cropped, it doesn't bother me at all.

So far I've spent a little bit of time with the following games:

Kid Chameleon
Comix Zone
Shining Force
Altered Beast
Sonic The Hedgehog
Golden Axe 1+2
Alien Storm
Streets of Rage

Probably a few more as well.

I haven't played many of these in a long time. I don't remember sonic being hard, but I have yet to beat the Marble Hill zone!

And holy crap Comix Zone is INSANELY hard. I think it is a great game... but damn it is cheap and difficult.

This collection is so good it almost makes you not need a Genesis. Except that the Genesis has a phenomenal library.

If you're a Sega fan, this is a must have. Very happy with the 11.99 I spent on Ebay for it.

CharlieR

Re: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (Xbox 36)

Postby CharlieR » October 8th, 2018, 1:53 pm

So many good games. I remember my cousin beat a few challenges for me to help get the platinum. Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine was the hardest to get.

I do look at Sonic 1 as an all time classic, though there are parts of the game I don't like. The last act of Marble zone can be a drag, though the zone as a whole I am ok with. I think nostalgia plays a factor. There are zones later in the series that are way more monotonous, such as Marble Garden from Sonic 3. I can honestly say that I've never beaten the labyrinth zone boss.

Comix zone is tough. I remember it took me and my cousins a while to get the trophy, though it sounds easy in theory (beat first level.)

This has a lot of the greats on the genesis. The one game I always hear about being the biggest exclusion is Sonic & Knuckles.

The is another genesis collection like this for ps4/xb1, and soon to be switch that has about ten more games (including the toejam & earl and wonderboy games,) but no Sonic 3 or Sonic & Knuckles. I hear it's a copyright issue.

It's funny, these collections keep releasing and some have key games, and some don't. The ps2 genesis collection had a lot of good one, but none of the Streets of rage games, which are my favorite.

You'd think this PS3/360 collection might be enough, but I may end up getting it for the switch due to the portability.

Return to “Now Playing”