Major League Baseball 2K5 (XBox)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Major League Baseball 2K5 (XBox)

Postby Herschie » October 11th, 2018, 2:33 pm

When I play games like this, I get angry at these stupid exclusive licensing deals and how little progress has been made because of them. Back in 2005, we had options for both baseball and football. For baseball, we had MVP 2005, which was fantastic, MLB 2006,the precursor to The Show. I don't remember if High Heat was still going. But because of this competition, game companies were forced to step it up and make better games. And as far as football goes, even Madden was better because of fierce competition.

Now the presentation is top-notch in Major League Baseball 2005. It brings back memories of those lazy Sunday nights in the summer, you know the nights where it didn't get dark until 9:30. Having a beer, smoking a blunt. Listening to Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. I never thought I would be so floored with a cutscene of a pitcher walking off of the mound after the inning, but they make it look quite nice:

They do a lot of cool little things, and the opening intros are fantastic. I love how they'll show the fans walking to their seats, or the outside of the stadiums:

Lays, Fritos, Ruffles. Ironically, I don't think I have EVER seen those at Wrigley Field, but to be fair, this is Minute Maid Park:

That's not to say that this is a flawless game. The animations are quite stiff, and that organ will drive you NUTS. It sounds nothing like a baseball organ in any of the ballparks, and it plays constantly. But I still remember enjoying this game, and it's still fun to play every now and then, since I'm not tired of baseball, but I'm getting tired of The Show.

Return to “Now Playing”