Friday the 13th (PS4/XONE/PC)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Friday the 13th (PS4/XONE/PC)

Postby Retro STrife » October 16th, 2018, 11:57 am

I played a few hours of the new Friday the 13th game this past weekend on PS4. It is currently a free download for PS+ members during October. I've been interested in the game since first hearing about it a couple years ago. It got mediocre reviews, partly due to several technical issues, but since then there have been a bunch of patches and the addition of a single-player mode. It usually sells for $20-$30, so it's sat on my "to buy" list for awhile, before I finally took advantage of the free PS+ download this weekend.

My thoughts? It does have a new single-player mode, and you can play against bots, and there is a bonus mode where you explore a cabin that's filled with great memorabilia and trivia from the series... but all that is fluff and throw-away modes. At the end of the day, the online competitive multiplayer is where it's at. In that mode, one player controls Jason and up to 7 other people play as the counselors. As Jason, your goal is to track down the counselors and kill them one by one. As the counselors, your goal is to avoid Jason and survive, usually by finding a way to escape the campground (the counselors can also kill Jason, but that is pretty difficult and requires a huge team effort). You only get one life - no respawns. I played a few games as the counselors and it was interesting to work together to escape, while feeling the constant tension of thinking Jason might be just nearby. Exploring the cabins gives me that same creepy feeling of exploring cabins in the old NES game, wondering if Jason will be there. After that, I played one game as Jason and that was WAY more fun. I only killed 2 counselors.. but still, tracking them down, having them run from me, hearing actual tension in real people's voice over the PS4 mic while I'm about to kill them and calling out to the other counselors for help.. In my favorite moment, 5 counselors barricaded themselves in a cabin and I went around smashing the windows so they couldn't escape through them, and then I smashed in through their barricaded front door with my axe and started attacking them all as they tried to escape through the door - all the while hearing them yelling things like "oh no he's here" and "what do we do?" You feel like Jason for a moment.

Despite my positive spin, it's probably just a C or D range game. I wish the controls were better (they're complicated and melee sucks) and I wish there was more replay value (you'll get bored after several hours, at most). But despite that, it's such a unique experience that it's well worth trying, even if just for a few hours. Anyone tried it yet? Is it better or worse than its most similar game - Dead by Daylight?

Ozzybear

Re: Friday the 13th (PS4/XONE/PC)

Postby Ozzybear » October 17th, 2018, 6:06 pm

I've had it since it came out . At least to me it's much better than dead by daylight . I read a Halloween game is in the works as well !

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 17th, 2018, 10:45 pm

Ozzybear wrote:I read a Halloween game is in the works as well !

Are you sure that wasn't DBD? They have a mode where you can play as Michael Myers, with his own unique abilities.

Ozzybear

Postby Ozzybear » October 18th, 2018, 11:23 am

Yes I already know there is a add on for DBD, and this is not it . There is a vid on YouTube about the game in devolopement, they are pretty much copying Friday the 13th with everything , but if still done right , could be another fun game for this genre !

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 18th, 2018, 12:07 pm

I thought I would never play Friday the 13th again after last weekend.. but I have to admit, it's pulled me back for a few more games since then. In one game, the guy playing as Jason was badass and wiped out all the counselors pretty easily.. it was actually fun to watch (you can watch the other counselors after you die). In the next game, I played as Jason.. I only killed 1 of 7 counselors before the 20 minute timer expired, but it was still fun chasing everyone around. I still hate the combat, but the cat-and-mouse horror gameplay makes up for it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 18th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Sounds like a good time actually! I hope with Halloween they take their time, iron out the bugs, and incorporate a good single-player mode BEFORE shipping.

Then again, game companies these days are all about making money NOW so I'm not holding my breath.

Return to “Now Playing”