Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (3DS)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (3DS)

Postby Herschie » October 20th, 2018, 6:45 pm

The big problem with this game is that much of it feels like a chore. And I don't like to do chores.

I always have been this way. When I was a kid, I'd be getting grounded left and right because I wouldn't clean my room, or because I'd leave the milk out, or because my mom found my pot. I guess that last one has nothing to do with chores. Nowadays, I'm getting smart about just how much I need to do to keep my wife from having a fit. Right now the house smells great because she's cooking, so I suppose it wouldn't kill me to take ten minutes to scrub a couple pans and throw a few things into the dishwasher. Hey, happy wife, happy life!

That doesn't mean that I want my games to feel like a chore. Even just getting started feels tedious. You have to walk into the castle, remember which room to go into, listen to the dialogue, then pick up the doppels to throw onto the Triforce. Then a loading screen. They really could have streamlined this! Like maybe you have to do that the first time, but from then on out, the doppels are already standing on the Triforce, and all you have to do is hop on. And they should start you in this room. The whole thing is more of a pain than Twilight Princess showcasing a Blue Rupee every time you start up a game.

Then you get into the game. And more chores! First thing you have to do is find the particular item you need for the level. Sometimes it's the hammer, or arrows, or bombs. Every now and then it'll have two different items, but if all three doppels are going to use the same item, how come I have to switch to each and every one to pick it up! Maybe just have the first guy grab it, then all three have it! They make it such a pain.

Another thing is that often one guy will go through the level, then you have to repeat the same darn thing two more times. Once again, instead of having you do the same exact thing over and over, maybe the first guy does it, then creates a warp point for the next two. They also have puzzles that require you to stack or "totem" your characters, but these are more of a pain than it's worth.

So why play this game? Why do I do this to myself? Because the graphics and music are charming as hell! You get such a warm feeling playing this game, and I'm thinking that's why I play it.

Then again, I could also play this music while I mop the floor, and kill two birds with one stone!

Voor

Re: Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes (3DS)

Postby Voor » October 22nd, 2018, 7:16 pm

Lol. I actually like most household chores. After a long work day of wearing my brain out dealing with complex issues, I’m happy to do some dishes and laundry. The simple tasks are relaxing and I like seeing tangible results.

I’ve been missing my 2DS and thinking about getting another one, but the xL version. I’d like a Zelda, but I think I’ll go for Link Between Worlds instead.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » October 22nd, 2018, 8:43 pm

I suspect A Link Between Worlds is the best of both worlds. Charming graphics and music along the lines of Triforce Heroes, without the tedium. It remains my favorite 3DS game after having played through most of the big 1st party releases now.

I'm a Zelda nut, but have been successfully scared away from Triforce Heroes from multiple posts through the years. If you plan to attempt to play it solo like I would (And it sounds like Herschie did, since I believe he's complaining about changing characters), I've yet to see anyone praise it.

It joins Hyrule Warriors in my list of Zelda spinoffs that I'm chosen to eschew buying and playing through.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » October 23rd, 2018, 12:12 am

Voor wrote:Lol. I actually like most household chores. After a long work day of wearing my brain out dealing with complex issues, I’m happy to do some dishes and laundry. The simple tasks are relaxing and I like seeing tangible results.

Haha really? Usually I'd just want a beer and my video games. I'm lazy.

Atariboy wrote:If you plan to attempt to play it solo like I would (And it sounds like Herschie did, since I believe he's complaining about changing characters), I've yet to see anyone praise it.

It joins Hyrule Warriors in my list of Zelda spinoffs that I'm chosen to eschew buying and playing through.

You would be correct, I played solo. About as much fun as Short Round had playing cards with Iniana Jones. Hyrule Warriors I can play for a bit because of the warm feeling I get with the memories, but it's so damn repetitive that I get bored quick.

In any case, A Link Between Worlds blows both them games out of the water.

Return to “Now Playing”