Chrono Trigger (Super NES)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
ptdebate

Chrono Trigger (Super NES)

Postby ptdebate » October 22nd, 2018, 6:10 pm

It's become a platitude at this point, but really, everyone needs to stop what they're doing and go play Chrono Trigger if they haven't yet. I started a new playthrough on the Super Nt last week and I have to say - of all the SNES RPGs, Chrono Trigger is the only one that feels perfectly timeless. The thoughtful gameplay design feels more modern than even a lot of recent JRPGs.

Not only are the combat encounters not random, but each one arises as a bespoke element of the particular map or scenario you find yourself in. Each encounter is a hand-crafted event that evolves organically from the surrounding context. It's truly staggering to think about the amount of work they had to do to stick with this principle throughout the entirety of a 25-hour game. There aren't as many encounters as some RPGs, but there are still a ton, and they never fail to be interesting.

Retrology

Re: Chrono Trigger (Super NES)

Postby Retrology » October 25th, 2018, 1:40 pm

I consider this the best game of all time. From the amazing, accessible combat system to the tight story, imaginative scenery and characters, side quests and phenomenal soundtrack, there really is no excuse not to play this game.

It's even free on the App Store if you own an iPhone and I believe it's on Android too. I have the iPhone version and it works great!

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » October 26th, 2018, 4:41 pm

I think it might be the best SNES game ever made. You guys pretty much nailed it with your comments. It's the single game I'd point people towards if they've never experienced a JRPG before. The whole thing feels like Square Soft captured lighting in a bottle and have never been able to re-create that level of greatness again. It's amazing.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 26th, 2018, 5:01 pm

I think there's something wrong with me, because I can't rave about Chrono Trigger. I'm a big fan of Square's JRPGs, especially the Final Fantasy series. I wanted to try Chrono Trigger for years, and finally played through the whole game when it was re-released on the DS. Very good game, no doubt.. but I didn't come away from it wanting to put it anywhere near my personal favorite games. No desire to ever play it again. Usually I'll blame the game for that, but in this case I'm willing to blame myself. I'm not sure what happened. My guess is I may have ruined the game for myself by sticking too closely to a walkthrough guide, while trying to avoid all the bad endings. I still would like to play Chrono Cross though, but not sure if I'll ever find time for it.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » October 26th, 2018, 10:51 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I think there's something wrong with me, because I can't rave about Chrono Trigger.

You are not alone, sir!

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Chrono Trigger. It's a well-made game, it's fun to play (if you like JRPGs) and it has a storyline that can hold your interest all the way until the end. I appreciate it for what it is, but in so many words, it never really "did it" for me.

I've owned / played / beaten quite a few role playing games on the SNES over the years, and I put Chrono Trigger near the top of the list, just not the very top. I had already played through and beaten Secret of Mana, Breath of Fire, Shadowrun, Illusion of Gaia, and both Final Fantasy 2 (I mean, 4) and 3 (6... yeah, six is good...) before I tried out the Trigger. Hell, I had also whipped through Phantasy Star 2, 3, and 4 on the Genesis, too! I think CT just arrived a little late for me to truly appreciate it. I also started playing Super Mario RPG before CT, and favor it over the Trigger, as well.

For my money, Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy 3, and Super Mario RPG edge out CT on the SNES RPG pantheon, and I would even put Phantasy Star 4 above CT, as well. That being said, all five of those games are gold-star must-play titles, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Just because I don't rave about CT the way others do doesn't mean I don't like it or don't appreciate it. Quite the opposite, really. It's one of those rare games that is truly worthy of all the praise it receives. Now Eathbound, on the other hand... now that's a game I refuse to believe that anybody truly likes. In my opinion it was a total dud - then, now, and forever. But again, just my opinion 8-)

Alucard1191

Postby Alucard1191 » October 27th, 2018, 12:19 pm

I'm actually going through my 16-32 bit RPGs right now, bit of a nostalgia run. And I beat Chrono Trigger a few months ago now and am going through Final Fantasy III (6).

And I'm agreeing with the original poster. I used to like both MarioRPG and Final Fantasy III more than this, and now that I'm older my opinion has changed. I love the combat, the storyline and characters are fantastic, and the music...

I think it is the best on the system. Final Fantasy III has moments of great songs, but a lot of them (especially in the world of ruin) are pretty tedious. Chrono Trigger has fantastic music the whole way through. Lots of secrets, new game + ... the ending is even good! I love the art style, it has aged very well. I honestly think I'll make it a point to play it once a year just to keep it fresh. It is a masterpiece in my opinion frankly.

/Enjoying Final Fantasy III but not as much.
//Xenogears on the other hand I'm having a hard time getting into. Even with 27+ hours on the file and all my characters in the mid 40's in level... that one is really feeling more like a chore than a fun game.

Return to “Now Playing”