Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XONE)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Retro STrife

Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XONE)

Postby Retro STrife » October 25th, 2018, 9:27 am

Is it just me or does it feel like a slow year for new games? The good news is Red Dead Redemption 2 comes out tomorrow and looks poised to be not just the highest rated game of the year but one of the highest rated games of all time. On Metacritic, it currently has a 97 out of 100, based on 70 reviews. I wasn't planning to buy it at release (I rarely ever do that), but maybe this will be different. I know a "Now Playing" topic for this game will show up eventually, but I figured I'd start one early to encourage some posts on initial impressions over the weekend. I haven't played the first RDR, but I'm wondering how this new one compares, and if it really is a "must-play now" kind of game like the reviews are suggesting. Anyone picking it up to play this weekend?

Retro STrife

Re: Red Dead Redemption 2 (PS4/XONE)

Postby Retro STrife » October 30th, 2018, 2:38 pm

I still haven't gotten this one. In the meantime, I followed up with my brother for his take. I've never played the first RDR, but he beat RDR just within the past year, so I was interested in his view on RDR2. He said:

"I've played about 6 or 7 hours so far. Really awesome game so far. Story is pretty good and the random encounters and stranger missions are great."

How do it stack up to the first RDR?: "Haven't played enough to really say... it feels better so far though. Everything is very well thought out. Even menial tasks are more fun like hunting and chores."

Nothing too in-depth there, but figured I'd share since I started this topic. Anyone here pick up RDR2 yet?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 31st, 2018, 11:35 am

I actually did pick it up! I was meaning to reply earlier.

I'm only about an hour in so far so it's hard to comment on the gameplay. I haven't played the first RDR so for me the closest comparison is GTA.

The story is extremely well-presented and the graphics are on a completely different level than anything I've seen before. The closest thing that comes to mind is Rise of the Tomb Raider (the first area is a snowy mountain and your tracks in the snow are persistent in that they never go away unless you come back and walk through them again!)

I'm playing on the Xbox One X, which enjoys a native 4K presentation at a solid 30fps. When it comes to the animation, we are well beyond the uncanny valley and in the territory of "holy **expletive**, I'm literally watching a Western right now except I can control the characters."

RDR2 takes a much more somber, meditative tone than any other Rockstar game I'm familiar with. It's slow, it takes its time in worldbuilding and demands your complete attention. As much as this sprang from a series of fun, zany sandboxes, RDR2 is a serious game as much as it is a joy to play.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » November 3rd, 2018, 9:23 pm

I was a huge fan of the original Red Dead Redemption and picked this one up last week Friday. All I can say is: Wow. They have been developing this one over 5 years and it tells. The reviews on Metacritic/IGN are not hype or overly bloated, this game is a legitimate masterpiece. As it stands, I would have a hard time leaving it off a top 10 of all time list. Like Odyssey/HZD/BOTW released last year to high critic scores, Red Dead II stands comfortably with games of that caliber.

I will say just one negative though: If you want a game you can just pick and play for an hour or so, this is not it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 8th, 2018, 11:33 pm

A guy at work has been playing this, and commenting about the menial stuff the game makes you do like eat food, shave, and other chores.

When he was leaving the other he said, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go home and feed my horse"

LOL

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 8th, 2018, 11:58 pm

How 'bout them horse balls?

CaptainCruch

Postby CaptainCruch » November 9th, 2018, 7:29 am

I don't have a PS4/XONE, so I haven't played it (I also don't have time to play it), but enjoyed the last episode of South Park, in which all people seemed to play it and thus leading an alternative life in the world of RDR2!

JustLikeHeaven

Postby JustLikeHeaven » November 13th, 2018, 4:45 pm

Man I wish I could muster up any sort of excitement for RDR2. As a person that vehemently dislikes open world games, world building and videogames that desperately try to be cinematic... this checks off just about ever negative category possible for me.

I'd be weeping tears of joy if Rockstar went and made an actual sequel to Red Dead Revolver. Now that was a hell of a game! It was a videogame that wasn't afraid to be a videogame.

Voor

Postby Voor » November 14th, 2018, 7:54 pm

I feel ya. Open world games just do nothing for me, no matter how impressive or epic. Guess I’m just old.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 14th, 2018, 9:16 pm

Loved the snow stages early in this game. They really got the snow effects down pat.

So the other day I was playing and noticed the fan on my Xbox One was running really loud. With my set-up it's kind of out of the way so I didn't check on it right away. Well at the very end of the mission the screen goes black. I walk over to my system and there were DVDs on top of it, covering the vents! It shut off due to overheating. Better than losing the system right?

Sadly, it didn't give me any credit for that mission. For a game that seems to save constantly, it was surprising I had to start over. My friend from work had a similar story. His internet went out for a while, and apparently he lost his progress too. We just chalked it up as being part of the struggle of the wild west! The pioneers had to put up with the same stuff I'm sure.

I have to admit this game is great. Very well crafted in the way it gradually ramps up the controls and tells a story. It's the kind of game you can play a little every day.

Return to “Now Playing”