NHL 97 (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Breaker

NHL 97 (Genesis)

Postby Breaker » November 1st, 2018, 12:39 am

Man, this game brings me back! High school buddies spending an entire weekend in my parent's basement, mainlining Mountain Dew, destroying frozen pizzas, and playing a full season on this beauty.

Three button hockey is the best hockey. Great organ tunes, fluid animations, awesome checking and one-timers being unleashed with reckless abandon. Accurate rosters, create-a-player, trades, turning off offsides, turning on fights, and Patrick Roy as nearly unbeatable.

Great times. Great memories. I play NHL 17 on PS4... the graphics are amazing, but it's less fun.

CharlieR

Re: NHL 97 (Genesis)

Postby CharlieR » November 1st, 2018, 10:44 am

Those old-school hockey games for the Genesis can't be beat. I have fun with them all. So much fun.

A lot of the fun gets lost in translation with modern hockey games. I mentioned recently that in the newer NFL Blitz games that the field seems "bigger," and the games just aren't as fun. I think that is true for hockey as well.

Also, I did get NHL 14 because it had an NHL 94 mode, and I honestly didn't really notice a difference in the gameplay other than the blue ice. They also have a setting where you can play the new game with the three button NHL 94 controls. To me, any way you slice it, it just isn't as fun as the old games. I also have NHL 2k9 and there are like three pages of instructions for the controls!

Herschie

Re: NHL 97 (Genesis)

Postby Herschie » November 1st, 2018, 4:47 pm

Not too long ago I played NHL '94, and came to the conclusion that this would be all I'll ever need in a hockey game. 16-bit seems to be the charm for that particular sport.

Return to “Now Playing”