Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
eneuman96

Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

Postby eneuman96 » February 13th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Speaking as someone who just can't bring myself to genuinely enjoy the original PS1 Resident Evil games, I absolutely loved my time with this remake.

As you most likely know by now, this is not a mere remaster of a 20-year-old game but rather a dramatic overhaul that (to my knowledge) still retains the spirit of the source material while also feeling like an almost entirely new experience. The zombies are much more durable than you'd expect them to be, although you can choose to slow them down by shooting them in the legs instead of potentially wasting half a dozen bullets on headshotting a single zombie. The game has just the right ratio of horror to action in order to remain a tense experience the entire time while also allowing you to not feel completely helpless, although you definitely need to be cautious of wasting ammunition.

I do wish the game made it clearer about how many bullets a zombie can take before genuinely dying, since it appears to be random and on rare occasions you can get lucky by blowing up their head in one shot. Additionally, there's at least one instance where finding an inconspicuous but important item is made more aggravating by the fact that an invincible enemy is stalking you the entire time. Regardless, this is still an undeniably quality title that thankfully doesn't fall victim to most of the problems that many other modern AAA games tend to suffer.

Although it's definitely too early in the year to make a final judgement call, this is currently my favorite game of 2019 and may cause me to give some of the other Resident Evil titles a look since the only others I've played a substantial amount of are 4 and 7.

Gentlegamer

Re: Resident Evil 2 (PS4)

Postby Gentlegamer » February 13th, 2019, 9:42 pm

The streams I saw indicate it is essentially 3D Pac-Man.

Return to “Now Playing”