Space Ace (3DO)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Space Ace (3DO)

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 23rd, 2019, 8:45 pm

The good news is, unlike other systems of the time the 3DO renders this laserdisc game full-screen and full-color, so it looks pretty great. The bad news is, the gameplay is so freaking fast and unforgiving, the best you can do is memorize the moves.

You'd think the home version might have some options, like difficulty or clues, but NOPE.

I remember Dragon's Lair being big in the arcades, but I think the novelty had worn off by the time Space Ace appeared.

Thoughts?

zetax

Re: Space Ace (3DO)

Postby zetax » February 23rd, 2019, 8:56 pm

I would have to agree. Dragon's Lair and MACH 3 (don't think it was ever ported to home) were huge. Then folks realized that the games weren't really much fun, they just looked cool. I don't remember actually seeing a Space Ace arcade game, only pix in Electronic Games (or one of those old mags - Electronic Fun?)

Cafeman

Re: Space Ace (3DO)

Postby Cafeman » February 23rd, 2019, 10:43 pm

I remember Joystik magazine had the solutions for all the Space Ace segments. I could play pretty far into the game but didn't beat it. On Sega CD, it is very unfair with timing. You have to know ahead of time which direction to push. I seem to recall the coin-op had more fair timing. Never tried the 3DO version.

The Don Bluth animation is excellent though.

Return to “Now Playing”