Talespin (Genesis)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Talespin (Genesis)

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 19th, 2019, 1:03 pm

While probably not as good as the T16 version (in terms of graphics and sound at least) this is still a respectable side-scrolling platformer. The opening jungle stage is fun, and I'm really looking forward to the side-scrolling plane stages (which are previewed when I leave the game running). Anybody else play this?

Retro STrife

Re: Talespin (Genesis)

Postby Retro STrife » May 20th, 2019, 8:52 am

I played this as a kid - my cousin had a Genesis and this was one of the games he had for it. I remember thinking it was ok, but there was always some other game we'd rather play. I never wanted to play it more than short spurts. I own it in my collection now though, so maybe I'll try it out soon.

I'm surprised you say the TG16 version has better graphics though. Looking at screenshots of the two, the Genesis seems much better.

Stalvern

Re: Talespin (Genesis)

Postby Stalvern » May 20th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Retro STrife wrote:I'm surprised you say the TG16 version has better graphics though. Looking at screenshots of the two, the Genesis seems much better.

The Genesis game's graphics are very inconsistent. The opening jungle level and the plane stages definitely look better, but it's also full of monotonous ruins with dull tile sets and solid-colored backgrounds straight out of an NES game. And even at its best, the style is generic, looking like every second-rate mascot game of the early '90s. The Turbografx-16 game can be pretty scrappy (sometimes downright ugly), but it has a lot more personality.

Return to “Now Playing”