Hydro Thunder (Dreamcast)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Hydro Thunder (Dreamcast)

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 17th, 2019, 5:43 pm

Hydro Thunder is an awesome boat racer - I just wish it were VGA compatible. It's wild to page through the high scores and see initials of people I haven't seen in 20 years!

Why don't think make arcade style games like this anymore? How about another Waverace? I think it's time.

Sonicx9

Re: Hydro Thunder (Dreamcast)

Postby Sonicx9 » June 17th, 2019, 6:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Hydro Thunder is an awesome boat racer - I just wish it were VGA compatible. It's wild to page through the high scores and see initials of people I haven't seen in 20 years!

Why don't think make arcade style games like this anymore? How about another Waverace? I think it's time.

Critic, about VGA compatibility, what version of the disc do you have is it red or blue, because if it blue, you have the 9/9/99 launch version which does suffer from not having VGA support and other minor bugs and glitches due to rushing to the launch of the Dreamcast. But if you have the newer Red disc aka Hot New edition the copy I have. It works perfectly in VGA mode without the need of the Switch trick. If you want more info on this situation, read this link.: https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/show ... understand it only aplies to the 4 Midway launch games complete with info to look for to know what versions you have.

zetax

Postby zetax » June 17th, 2019, 11:11 pm

Yeah, my "Hot! New!" version works fine with VGA.

Agree, this is a great arcade racer. Got it on DC, PS2 Midway Hits, and even recent!y got PS1 versjon , just for the heck of it. Grainy graphics with so-so frame rate, but amazing how that they could get it to work with the PS1.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 17th, 2019, 11:24 pm

One of my first DC games and I was blown away. Very difficult game actually. There is a bug where every now and then. The boost meter sticks at full, and this helped me immensely to place 1st and progress. Wish I had the new version, but I don't.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 18th, 2019, 12:45 am

zetax wrote:Yeah, my "Hot! New!" version works fine with VGA.

Agree, this is a great arcade racer. Got it on DC, PS2 Midway Hits, and even recent!y got PS1 versjon , just for the heck of it. Grainy graphics with so-so frame rate, but amazing how that they could get it to work with the PS1.

Turns out I was right as I also have the "Hot! New!" Red disc version with the same results as you. Turns out critic needs to track down the "Hot! New!" version on Dreamcast someday as it the definitive release.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 18th, 2019, 12:48 am

Cafeman wrote:One of my first DC games and I was blown away. Very difficult game actually. There is a bug where every now and then. The boost meter sticks at full, and this helped me immensely to place 1st and progress. Wish I had the new version, but I don't.

You should track down the "Hot! New!" version here it is on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... c&LH_BIN=1 just make sure it a red disc and your ok.

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 18th, 2019, 10:09 am

Other than it works with VGA, which I do usually use, are there any other differences from the launch game?

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » June 18th, 2019, 10:42 am

I decided to try out HT using my Akura VGA HDMI box, which I bought last fall. To my surprise, I already own the red disc Hydro Thunder! I tried it out, it does work in VGA however it is the only game that has a slight Jitter every now and then. So, it isn't 100% perfect, but it's quite playable anyway.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 18th, 2019, 10:47 am

Cafeman wrote:Other than it works with VGA, which I do usually use, are there any other differences from the launch game?

It fixes various bugs and glitches that the launch version suffers. But it does look like you have the red disc version so your fine.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 18th, 2019, 8:58 pm

I'm going to give the red disc version a try! Can't wait.

Return to “Now Playing”