Triple Play 2000 (N64)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Herschie

Triple Play 2000 (N64)

Postby Herschie » July 2nd, 2019, 1:05 am

I think I found it! A good N64 sports title! Took me a while, but I think we have ourselves a winner.

Actually, I knew about this game, since I originally played it when I was 17. Being that I was 17, you'd think that I have a good drug story to go with it. And I do. But it's a little too intense for a video game forum. Let's just say it was the first, last, and only time I ever tried anything harder than pot. Yes, I happened to be playing this game when the drug kicked in.

Triple Play 2000 plays like a good, solid, fun game of baseball. Unfortunately, the rosters are from the 1999 season, which for the Cubs was an absolutely putrid and injury-riddled campaign. Still, it's very enjoyable, especially the home-run derby. I love how it takes place over 9 innings with 3 outs, though if you have to get to work or something, you can set the length to fewer innings. They also wisely sim through your opponent's swings, so you don't have to sit there and watch. You just know how many long balls your opponent hit during his half of the inning.

I was also very impressed with the "dusk" setting for start time. This was the first game I recall with such a feature. I remember there were a few exciting games at the end of the 1995 season (September 28th and 29th against Houston) where the games went long, and the Cubs hit the walkoff hit around dusk. So that was cool how that could now be replicated, although it unrealistically stays dusk the whole game. Which I guess is understandable with the available technology at the time, although don't tell that to the Ocarina of Time developers.

Triple Play 2000 didn't try to do too much, they just did what they did correctly. And it shows.

Breaker

Re: Triple Play 2000 (N64)

Postby Breaker » July 2nd, 2019, 10:41 am

I'll second this game as a solid sports title for the N64. I played this game quite a bit in college, and like Herschie, the 1999 rosters hurt my favorite team (the Twins). Strangely enough, I frequently used the Cubs on this game, as Kerry Wood was fantastic.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

Herschie

Re: Triple Play 2000 (N64)

Postby Herschie » July 2nd, 2019, 11:07 am

Breaker wrote:Strangely enough, I frequently used the Cubs on this game, as Kerry Wood was fantastic.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

Haha, unfortunately, Wood tore his UCL during 1999 spring training and had to have Tommy John surgery. As such, he missed the entire season.

Fortunately the rosters were from January 1st.

Return to “Now Playing”