Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DrLitch

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby DrLitch » October 14th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:If that was the case, they should have delayed and released the Switch port in November when the two supposed bigfix patches come in as it clear the Switch port is not ready for prime time based on the fact now critic is suffering the issues that everyone has been complaining about the port.

Agreed, and applies to all gaming companies as well, particularly Bethesda. I am still butthurt over Fallout 76, my favorite franchise.... ruined....

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 14th, 2019, 7:40 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:If that was the case, they should have delayed and released the Switch port in November when the two supposed bigfix patches come in as it clear the Switch port is not ready for prime time based on the fact now critic is suffering the issues that everyone has been complaining about the port.

Agreed, and applies to all gaming companies as well, particularly Bethesda. I am still butthurt over Fallout 76, my favorite franchise.... ruined....

Bethesda, more like Bugthesda, lol!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 14th, 2019, 8:09 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Bethesda, more like Bugthesda, lol!

:D

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 14th, 2019, 8:29 pm

DrLitch wrote:
:D

Glad you like my Bugthesda joke, I made up that joke before it became a meme, and it so bad it may make ARK: Survival Evolved blush, LOL!

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 15th, 2019, 11:55 am

Just picked up the PS4 version. Metriodvania is probably my favorite genre and Symphony of the Night was my favorite Metriodvania before Hollow Knight came along (although I still need to play some of the GBA/DS entries in the Castlevania series).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 17th, 2019, 3:16 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Just picked up the PS4 version. Metriodvania is probably my favorite genre and Symphony of the Night was my favorite Metriodvania before Hollow Knight came along (although I still need to play some of the GBA/DS entries in the Castlevania series).

A little late, have been busy lately, but on a related note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIFGhaTqJw the PS4 version like the Switch version without a day 1 update is buggy as well. And the update on that version is 3.1 GB and growing which is a bad sign, And in the video it says it best the game is good, it just a bad product.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 18th, 2019, 8:37 pm

velcrozombie wrote:Just picked up the PS4 version. Metriodvania is probably my favorite genre and Symphony of the Night was my favorite Metriodvania before Hollow Knight came along (although I still need to play some of the GBA/DS entries in the Castlevania series).

Funny thing is though than Metroidvania never seemed to really take off. There just are not that many games I know of. Maybe I am wrong. There were the games on the DS and Gameboy Advance. These handhelds are old now. Axion Verge is a recent'ish game. Hollow Knight is recent. Ori and Blind Forest is also fairly recent. Maybe Sundred counts as a Metroidvania. And now this Bloodstained game. Some consider Shovel Knight to be that Genre but I do not know, seems very Mario 3/4 like to me with the map.

Sonicx9 wrote:And in the video it says it best the game is good, it just a bad product.

If you like Symphony and the Aria of Sorrow games then you should still try Bloodstained. Yes it will have some slowdowns but it is really too good a game to pass up.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » October 18th, 2019, 10:39 pm

DrLitch wrote:Funny thing is though than Metroidvania never seemed to really take off. There just are not that many games I know of. Maybe I am wrong. There were the games on the DS and Gameboy Advance. These handhelds are old now. Axion Verge is a recent'ish game. Hollow Knight is recent. Ori and Blind Forest is also fairly recent. Maybe Sundred counts as a Metroidvania. And now this Bloodstained game. Some consider Shovel Knight to be that Genre but I do not know, seems very Mario 3/4 like to me with the map.

One game I try to bring up that never gets enough attention but is one of my favorites in the genre is Shadow Complex - sometimes it feels like a Metriodvania version of Metal Gear Solid and it's a blast.

I think the genre has remained stronger in the indie scene. The biggest example I can think of besides the games you've already mentioned would be with Wayforward and some of the Shantae games and The Mummy Demastered. There's a very well-received horror-themed Metriodvania called Blasphemous by Spanish studio The Game Kitchen that just came out. The Guacamelee! series by Drinkbox Studios is well-liked. Owlboy got a lot of acclaim recently. I'm sure if I looked around on Steam I could find more answers.

I think there are some games that blur the line between Metriodvania and action/adventure - maybe my favorite AAA game of the last generation was Batman: Arkham Asylum and to me it plays like a 3-D Metriodvania.

Heck, there are NES games that predate the term that play a lot like Metriodvanias - Dr. Chaos, The Goonies II, Faxanadu, the 8-bit Strider game, Blaster Master...

Sonicx9 wrote:A little late, have been busy lately, but on a related note: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFIFGhaTqJw the PS4 version like the Switch version without a day 1 update is buggy as well. And the update on that version is 3.1 GB and growing which is a bad sign, And in the video it says it best the game is good, it just a bad product.

I did download the most recent patch - I just don't download the enormous patches (like Doom, which has something crazy like a 16 Gb patch) because I have both a data cap and no backup hard drive for the massive files yet. I guess we'll find out - I had a couple bugs (pun intended) with Hollow Knight as well and it didn't mar the experience much.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 19th, 2019, 6:37 pm

Rather late, had a rough day yesterday so I am behind so response time.

DrLitch wrote:
If you like Symphony and the Aria of Sorrow games then you should still try Bloodstained. Yes it will have some slowdowns but it is really too good a game to pass up.

I know the game is quality, it a bad product more from the technical issues that are more fault of rushing the game out for late June.

velcrozombie wrote:I did download the most recent patch - I just don't download the enormous patches (like Doom, which has something crazy like a 16 Gb patch) because I have both a data cap and no backup hard drive for the massive files yet. I guess we'll find out - I had a couple bugs (pun intended) with Hollow Knight as well and it didn't mar the experience much.

velcrozombie which version of Hollow Knight physical on PS4 or digital on PS4/PC? Because that one did not have too many major problems by comparison and when critic reviewed the digital game on Switch it was mostly smooth sailing.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 22nd, 2019, 9:36 am

velcrozombie wrote:
One game I try to bring up that never gets enough attention but is one of my favorites in the genre is Shadow Complex - sometimes it feels like a Metriodvania version of Metal Gear Solid and it's a blast.

Thanks for the tips. Shadow Complex does look excellent. On my bucket list. Oh yes forgot all about Shantae, the game is awesome. I have it on the WiiU but I think there is a sequel to it on the Switch. Adding Owlboy to the bucket list as well.

Return to “Now Playing”