Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
MSR1701

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby MSR1701 » July 22nd, 2019, 8:30 pm

True, I will agree that Bloodstained is far more resource hungry. And yes, the Vita market is drying to the point of a desert. It is always sad though, to see a crowd funded venture loose a platform that people donated for specifically (such as the 3DS and Vita Mighty No. 9... then again, not the best example...).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 23rd, 2019, 11:43 am

MSR1701 wrote:True, I will agree that Bloodstained is far more resource hungry. And yes, the Vita market is drying to the point of a desert. It is always sad though, to see a crowd funded venture loose a platform that people donated for specifically (such as the 3DS and Vita Mighty No. 9... then again, not the best example...).

And speaking of Mighty No. 9 3DS and Vita. These articles explain the troubled development of the two ports: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvm9 ... and-3ds-go and https://www.destructoid.com/a-complete- ... 6622.phtml and http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2018/1 ... ita-anyway and based on what they wrote it did not look good at all!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 23rd, 2019, 6:34 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:True, I will agree that Bloodstained is far more resource hungry. And yes, the Vita market is drying to the point of a desert. It is always sad though, to see a crowd funded venture loose a platform that people donated for specifically (such as the 3DS and Vita Mighty No. 9... then again, not the best example...).

And speaking of Mighty No. 9 3DS and Vita. These articles explain the troubled development of the two ports: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvm9 ... and-3ds-go and https://www.destructoid.com/a-complete- ... 6622.phtml and http://www.themmnetwork.com/blog/2018/1 ... ita-anyway and based on what they wrote it did not look good at all!

Yarp. That project is probably the most cited one I hear referenced when I hear people say they lost faith in Kickstarter.

strat

Postby strat » July 24th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Yarp. That project is probably the most cited one I hear referenced when I hear people say they lost faith in Kickstarter.

Between this, MN9 and Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained might be the first crowd-funded project by a rockstar creator sticking it to his former company that's been a critical success (though people seem to have mixed opinions on YL).

FWIW, I could barely stand a few levels of MN9 but couldn't bare to put down Bloodstained (PS4) until beating my first playthrough.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 25th, 2019, 12:58 am

I have not played a game as compulsively as Bloodstained Ritual of the Night since perhaps Axiom Verge and Horizon Zero Dawn. I have been glued to my computer, ignoring work, and so on. I was pleasantly surprised that Bloodstained ran on my Laptop and the keyboard was a perfectly acceptable control scheme [although I could not pull off some special attacks with a keyboard]. I now have a copy for the Switch and am playing through it a second time. Quite honestly the Switch version is fine - yes the frame rate is not 60fps but that is not a crime...

Glen32

Postby Glen32 » July 26th, 2019, 7:56 am

Great game by Koji Igarashi. I love Castlevania as well.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2019, 8:56 am

Rather late, but here goes nothing:

MSR1701 wrote:

So true, as it was the big AAA indie Kickstarter high budget and hype by Kickstarter standards game to start it and populated the creators doing spiritual successors in vane of this with mixed results.

strat wrote:Between this, MN9 and Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained might be the first crowd-funded project by a rockstar creator sticking it to his former company that's been a critical success (though people seem to have mixed opinions on YL).

FWIW, I could barely stand a few levels of MN9 but couldn't bare to put down Bloodstained (PS4) until beating my first playthrough.

Of the big 3, Bloodstained is the best of the bunch, too bad the Switch port is 2019 PC Batman: Arkham Knight all over again. (Great game and bad port go figure?)

DrLitch wrote:I have not played a game as compulsively as Bloodstained Ritual of the Night since perhaps Axiom Verge and Horizon Zero Dawn. I have been glued to my computer, ignoring work, and so on. I was pleasantly surprised that Bloodstained ran on my Laptop and the keyboard was a perfectly acceptable control scheme [although I could not pull off some special attacks with a keyboard]. I now have a copy for the Switch and am playing through it a second time. Quite honestly the Switch version is fine - yes the frame rate is not 60fps but that is not a crime...

It true the Switch port is not that bad, or does it get a Periphery Hatedom from the eco-chamber communities for attention reasons.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2019, 4:37 pm

I just started playing this on my Switch (hardcopy) and so far it's fantastic. No issues so far.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 8th, 2019, 6:54 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I just started playing this on my Switch (hardcopy) and so far it's fantastic. No issues so far.

I look forward to reading your review and how well you think this game holds up to the "... of Sorrow" and "Symphony of the Night" games. I think it fits very nicely in that group. The music in Bloodstained is more varied than a typical Castlevania Game as well I could have sworn in one section I was listening to an Y's game.

Do play the 8-bit Bloodstained game as well. It will only take you a couple of hours to beat.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » September 8th, 2019, 8:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I just started playing this on my Switch (hardcopy) and so far it's fantastic. No issues so far.

I saw your post on Twitter about playing Bloodstained Curse of the Moon. Are you also playing Ritual of the Night?

Return to “Now Playing”