Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DrLitch

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby DrLitch » September 25th, 2019, 7:32 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Here are some interesting tech insights of Switch and optimization if you are not aware of Mega Man 11, DRAGON BALL FighterZ and Mortal Kombat 11 all 3 require a Intel Core i5 with both Mega Man 11, DRAGON BALL FighterZ needing the newer 3470 series or better as MK 11 requires the older Intel Core i5-750 series and mind you MK11 requires more ram then Bloodstained even though Bloodstained needs a slightly more powerful Intel Core i5-4460 and GeForce GTX 760, but the differences or negligible. It just the Switch port of Bloodstained was a sloppy port and Igarashi admits it.

Switch porting for the most part has been excellent.

Yeah I been noticing PC requirements for games going up and up. The requirements for some modern games are quite insane and sometimes they lie about requirements so people will play. You know to get Assassin's Creed Odyssey at 60fps on 1080p with high settings requires about $1000 of CPU and GPU. The specs they recommend will barely get the game to a playable state at 720p. It is getting out of hand. 4 core CPU's are also about the bare minimum nowadays, even 4 cores are not enough. Some titles only play decent with 6 or more cores. I predict by the time the PS5 and Xbox Next Gen come out, given they will have 8 core CPU's, there will be no such thing as "budget gaming PC's". Shame, $400 was enough to build a PC to game on.

As for Bloodstained, yes I am sure it was not as good as it could have been. If all they did was take existing code and then ran through a compiler native for the Switch chipset it would be quite messy. Even so, 1080p 60fps is a tough ask although I could see 720p 60fps if they programmed out some bottlenecks.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 25th, 2019, 8:15 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Switch porting for the most part has been excellent.

Yeah I been noticing PC requirements for games going up and up. The requirements for some modern games are quite insane and sometimes they lie about requirements so people will play. You know to get Assassin's Creed Odyssey at 60fps on 1080p with high settings requires about $1000 of CPU and GPU. The specs they recommend will barely get the game to a playable state at 720p. It is getting out of hand. 4 core CPU's are also about the bare minimum nowadays, even 4 cores are not enough. Some titles only play decent with 6 or more cores. I predict by the time the PS5 and Xbox Next Gen come out, given they will have 8 core CPU's, there will be no such thing as "budget gaming PC's". Shame, $400 was enough to build a PC to game on.

As for Bloodstained, yes I am sure it was not as good as it could have been. If all they did was take existing code and then ran through a compiler native for the Switch chipset it would be quite messy. Even so, 1080p 60fps is a tough ask although I could see 720p 60fps if they programmed out some bottlenecks.

Correction Bloodstained is dynamic 720P dock, but a sub 720P resolution 576p likely dynamic resolution my guess. And mind you many Indie/2D games runs on underpowered toaster pc FYI.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 26th, 2019, 5:48 am

Sonicx9 wrote:Super Ghouls N' Ghosts slowdowns was actually a side effect of programing error BTW.

I know. It's also a game that some people defend as a classic despite the sloppy programming. Kind of like Pokemon Red and Blue. Or Final Fantasy on the NES.

Actually, those last two are completely broken compared to Bloodstained on the Switch. Which just goes to show the double standard when you factor in for a nostalgia/popularity bonus.

My point is, despite all the technical problems with Bloodstained, I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. That's more than I can say for WWE2K18 (almost unplayable outside of 1 on 1 in the smallest NXT arena) and Lego DC Supervillains. (more crashes than the entire demolition derby series.)

This is just my opinion, whether or not it speaks for anyone else, but I'm glad I wasn't forced to wait for them to iron all the bugs out.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 26th, 2019, 9:34 am

Sonicx9 wrote:mind you many Indie/2D games runs on underpowered toaster pc FYI.

But the same toaster PC will probably not be playing Cyberpunk2077 at playable frame rates ;), case of pick your poison. But as we know with AAA titles, lots of fuss made, 90% of the time nowhere near as good as that fuss.

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:
I know. It's also a game that some people defend as a classic despite the sloppy programming. Kind of like Pokemon Red and Blue. Or Final Fantasy on the NES.

My point is, despite all the technical problems with Bloodstained,

Agreed with Bloodstained, a blast on the Switch as well. Just a great game all round. No way could one give it 5/10 and then the PS4 version 9/10. That is plain bias/unreasonable reviewing.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts was not as much fun as the arcade original or Genesis/SuperGrafx game but I do not think it has anything to do with the rampant slowdown. The game was friggin hard as nails particularly the last level. Lose your weapon, hit the reset switch, middle finger, and then never play it again.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 26th, 2019, 8:06 pm

Actually, those last two are completely broken compared to Bloodstained on the Switch. Which just goes to show the double standard when you factor in for a nostalgia/popularity bonus.

My point is, despite all the technical problems with Bloodstained, I'm more than satisfied with my purchase. That's more than I can say for WWE2K18 (almost unplayable outside of 1 on 1 in the smallest NXT arena) and Lego DC Supervillains. (more crashes than the entire demolition derby series.)

This is just my opinion, whether or not it speaks for anyone else, but I'm glad I wasn't forced to wait for them to iron all the bugs out.

As for broken games, you have a good point why does Switch Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night get a huge Periphery Hatedom, yet other games get a free pass. I swear sites like Crappy Games Wiki are a eco chamber at times.

For WWE2k18 we all know how trash that port is, and for Lego DC Supervillains, I blame that more on TT Games using the old/outdated PS2 era Lego game engine, what funny is people complain about Bugthesda and Telltale Games using old/outdated tech, yet TT Games gets a free pass with the Lego engine, WTF. And speaking of bad Switch ports you have Troll and I (terrible on everything), SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (30FPS for a 2.5D fighting game is a crime!), and dare I say ARK: Survival Evolved (Digital Foundry nuff said!). And what funny is people like Jim Sterling prase the Unreal Engine family, but trashies many Unity Engine games because the engine is affiliated with shovelware.

DrLitch wrote:
But the same toaster PC will probably not be playing Cyberpunk2077 at playable frame rates ;), case of pick your poison. But as we know with AAA titles, lots of fuss made, 90% of the time nowhere near as good as that fuss.

My point is, despite all the technical problems with Bloodstained,

Agreed with Bloodstained, a blast on the Switch as well. Just a great game all round. No way could one give it 5/10 and then the PS4 version 9/10. That is plain bias/unreasonable reviewing.

Super Ghouls and Ghosts was not as much fun as the arcade original or Genesis/SuperGrafx game but I do not think it has anything to do with the rampant slowdown. The game was friggin hard as nails particularly the last level. Lose your weapon, hit the reset switch, middle finger, and then never play it again.

True that toaster PC suck for higher end gaming and it shows, and true most modern western dev AAA games have been ASS lately due to the obsession with live service garbage.

Yes, it weird that people love the game on most systems but trash it on Switch. And Info on the improvements coming in late November 2019: https://nintendoeverything.com/latest-n ... -november/

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 27th, 2019, 7:07 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Periphery Hatedom

Sonicx9 wrote:Crappy Games Wiki

When are you going to knock it off with this crap? Everyone tells you that it's trash, you yourself admit that it's trash, and you still never shut up about it. God, get a life! Go outside!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 27th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Stalvern wrote:When are you going to knock it off with this crap? Everyone tells you that it's trash, you yourself admit that it's trash, and you still never shut up about it. God, get a life! Go outside!

It because people like DrLitch and ThePixelatedGenocide are both defending a bad port, so I am giving facts on why the port is trash.

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 27th, 2019, 7:52 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:It because people like DrLitch and ThePixelatedGenocide are both defending a bad port, so I am giving facts on why the port is trash.

You were calling the "Periphery Hatedom" hypocritical and calling the Crappy Games Wiki an "echo chamber". Nothing to do with the game, just posting about them (and how bad you know they are) for the sake of posting about them (because you somehow take them seriously anyway). Absolute drivel that no sane person could possibly care about but is somehow deeply important to you for reasons that are beyond me.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 27th, 2019, 7:59 pm

Stalvern wrote:You were calling the "Periphery Hatedom" hypocritical and calling the Crappy Games Wiki an "echo chamber". Nothing to do with the game, just posting about them (and how bad you know they are) for the sake of posting about them (because you somehow take them seriously anyway). Absolute drivel that no sane person could possibly care about but is somehow deeply important to you for reasons that are beyond me.

Should I not take the two seriously who is a better source to trust and why?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 27th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Should I not take the two seriously who is a better source to trust and why?

I don't know what you need a source for, so I can't make a positive recommendation, but anything would be better than this rubbish.

I know that the "Periphery Hatedom" that you keep bringing up isn't even a source in the first place, just obnoxious TV Tropes jargon for people being mad on the Internet, so I'm not sure why you keep treating it as a distinct entity.

The Crappy Games Wiki (which I only know about because you link it all over the place) is almost too mindlessly histrionic for me to even bother describing, a clubhouse of about a dozen 13-year-old (I hope!) AVGN wannabes who work themselves into fits over shovelware that anyone with an IQ over 85 has no business bothering with in the first place. Did you know that this Blue's Clues browser game from 2002 has bad graphics? Thank God that someone took it down a peg! On the other hand, you also have reams and reams of petty complaints about games that are mediocre at worst. No matter where on the spectrum a page is, though, it's going to be a petulantly serious laundry list of grievances (always, always a list) unadorned by insight or charisma.

As a cherry on top, the wiki appears to be related to All The Tropes, hosted on the same platform and even sharing staff. If you aren't familiar, All The Tropes is a spin-off of TV Tropes that was founded because TV Tropes decided to stop (!) covering hentai and lolicon, a blow to the free speech of degenerates everywhere. While there thankfully isn't much crossover in terms of content, I wouldn't be surprised if the same cretinous creeps edit both sites.

Return to “Now Playing”