Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
Sonicx9

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby Sonicx9 » September 8th, 2019, 8:27 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I just started playing this on my Switch (hardcopy) and so far it's fantastic. No issues so far.

Which one Is it Bloodstained Curse of the Moon the 8 bit one or Ritual of the Night the 2.5D Metroidvania one?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Both! And think they are both great... so far at least.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 8th, 2019, 9:57 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Both! And think they are both great... so far at least.

As for Bloodstained Curse of the Moon you have the Switch version via Best Buy, and for Ritual of the Night which one PS4 or Switch because many people out their are Periphery Hatedoming the Switch port and say it suck balls, especially on this wiki if you do not patch it that is or tvtropes?: https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/B ... ht_(Switch)

"The Switch version of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was widely lambasted for its numerous performance issues. While many expected its lower resolution and slower FPS, the other issues were less acceptable. The numerous graphical issues, dodgy framerate, and especially the input lag, regular crashes, and excessive loading times have all greatly soured the fanbase's opinion of the Switch version, leaving many fans wondering if the devs even tried to make the Switch version good."
"Note that some of the issues such as crashing were present on the other consoles as shown by Digital foundry although this still does not fully explain the port’s problems."

your two cents critic?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 8th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:your two cents critic?

I'd imagine you'll get his two cents once he posts his review ;)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 8th, 2019, 10:36 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:your two cents critic?

I'd imagine you'll get his two cents once he posts his review ;)

Ture, but do you think I should not believe what Periphery Hatedom community says?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 8th, 2019, 11:29 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:do you think I should not believe what Periphery Hatedom community says?

Well, if I were you, I'd be careful about believing anything that comes from a "Hatedom community."

I'm sure RotN is juuuuuust fine on Switch. People love to pick things apart on the Internet these days. That being said, I guess that's always been the case!

I'm happy to hear positive things about this game. This isn't the only site that has given the game praise on the Switch. Even some of the so-called "bad" reviews have said that the Switch version is still a great game, just not as technically sound as the other versions.

Still, a bad port of a great game is always better than a great port of a bad game. As long as the game is playable and enjoyable, which it sounds like it is here, it doesn't matter if it has the occasional glitch or bug. Plenty of user feedback on this game has been positive despite the iffy press and reviews.

As always, try it for yourself before you decide. Litch and The Critic seem like they're having a good go of it so far. Maybe if you try it, Sonic, you'll like it, too!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 8th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Well, if I were you, I'd be careful about believing anything that comes from a "Hatedom community."

I'm sure RotN is juuuuuust fine on Switch. People love to pick things apart on the Internet these days. That being said, I guess that's always been the case!

I'm happy to hear positive things about this game. This isn't the only site that has given the game praise on the Switch. Even some of the so-called "bad" reviews have said that the Switch version is still a great game, just not as technically sound as the other versions.

Still, a bad port of a great game is always better than a great port of a bad game. As long as the game is playable and enjoyable, which it sounds like it is here, it doesn't matter if it has the occasional glitch or bug. Plenty of user feedback on this game has been positive despite the iffy press and reviews.

As always, try it for yourself before you decide. Litch and The Critic seem like they're having a good go of it so far. Maybe if you try it, Sonic, you'll like it, too!

It is true that people love to pick things apart on the Internet these days. What ironic is they are fine with certain Switch ports being 30FPS like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, NBA 2K series etc being like that on Switch, but people bitch about Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night sucking on Switch being 30FPS, talk about hypocrisy?

Also is it me or haters and elitist are almost the same people sometimes?

And should I talke sources like TVtropes, Crappygames wiki, Reddit, YouTubers, Twitter, Facebook, Gamefaqs, etc. for grant or no as they tend to be eco chamber groups? Also I might want to wait to see if the later patches fix this port because that the only time I might consider trying the port?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » September 9th, 2019, 12:29 am

Sonicx9 wrote:What ironic is they are fine with certain Switch ports being 30FPS like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, NBA 2K series etc being like that on Switch, but people bitch about Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night sucking on Switch being 30FPS, talk about hypocrisy?

Indeed, sir. It's the Internet, and people on the Internet loooooove to b**** and moan about everything.

I saw a post on GameFAQs the other day which made me chuckle, and it relates to your point perfectly. It was in regards to the newest Smash Bros. game: "People Want Banjo. People Get Banjo. People Complain About Banjo." There's just no pleasing some people!

Still, games being the entertainment devices that they are, it's entirely up to you how much enjoyment you get out of your time with the games of your choice. You've seen posts on other boards on this site in regards to the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man. Yes, it's widely regarded as a terrible game, but that doesn't mean that nobody out there liked it. Plenty of people hold that game near and dear, and plenty of kids back in the day were ecstatic to get that game for their birthday, along with other "duds" like ET and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One of my favorite games is PN03 on the Gamecube. No, the game isn't great, but I always liked its old-school shoot-'em-up feeling and randomly-generated levels. The bad press at the time of its release scared me away from it, but I picked it out of the bargain bin years later and had an absolute blast with it! I love the soundtrack, but sometimes I'll slip on the headphones and groove along with my own tunes. The game pairs perfectly with Kraftwerk and the soundtrack to Breakin', among other jams. For a "bad" game, I've spent far more time with it than other so-called "classic" Gamecube games. One of the best $10 investments I've ever made.

The best advice I can give you is to take all reviews with a grain of salt. Seriously. Use them to piece together some general thoughts and ideas about a game, but don't take any single review as "the word." Whether a game gets a 10/10 or a 2/10, try to take a step back and question the score. Usually, there's no way a game can possibly be that good or that bad, but the reviews can give you a general idea of what to expect.

I love this site, and I like a lot of the members of the community, but that doesn't mean I agree with everyone, or even agree with all of The Critic's reviews. One of my favorite games of this generation is Mutant Football League, but on this site, it got an F. An F! I'm not hurt about it, but the review did make me take a step back and laugh. Yes, the game sucks, but man, do I have an absolute riot every time I play it. The videogame equivalent of a "so bad, it's good" movie, like Samurai Cop or Miami Connection.

It's an unpopular opinion here on the Internet, but sometimes it's OK to like something that you know, deep down, is absolutely terrible. Call it a guilty pleasure, but some of the most fun you can have with any sort of entertainment media can come from something so bad that you can't pry yourself away from it. I'm not saying Bloodstained falls into that category, but usually even the worst videogames will have some redeeming qualities, or have a small fanbase that absolutely loves it, warts and all.

OK, rant's over. It's been nice talking with you tonight, Sonic. You've got a good head on your shoulders. It's fun going back and forth with you on the forums like this. Hopefully, Bloodstained will get that patch soon and you'll be able to give it a try on your Switch before you know it. I have a hunch it'll go on sale around Halloween, which is when I plan on picking it up for myself. Here's hoping!

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » September 9th, 2019, 8:50 pm

Internet:
You are the Anonymous Keyboard warrior.

Reality/Outside Internet:
Ditch tough guy act, most likely polite, quiet and introverted around others.

Sonicx9 wrote:As for Bloodstained Curse of the Moon you have the Switch version via Best Buy, and for Ritual of the Night which one PS4 or Switch because many people out their are Periphery Hatedoming the Switch port and say it suck balls, especially on this wiki if you do not patch it that is or tvtropes?: https://crappygames.miraheze.org/wiki/B ... ht_(Switch)

30fps pffftttt. I really do not get the issue. On small screen it is not really a big deal, on big screen,you literally have to play a 60fps version right next to it. That someone makes a video or article and escalates/highly exaggerates his complaints about the Switch Bloodstained version says more about Content Creator than the game. Still though - people click, they watch,they read, racks up views, rinse and repeat.... on the other hand it is just opinions, vapid as they may be.....

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 10th, 2019, 10:29 pm

Matchstick wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:What ironic is they are fine with certain Switch ports being 30FPS like Doom 2016, Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus, NBA 2K series etc being like that on Switch, but people bitch about Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night sucking on Switch being 30FPS, talk about hypocrisy?

Indeed, sir. It's the Internet, and people on the Internet loooooove to b**** and moan about everything.

I saw a post on GameFAQs the other day which made me chuckle, and it relates to your point perfectly. It was in regards to the newest Smash Bros. game: "People Want Banjo. People Get Banjo. People Complain About Banjo." There's just no pleasing some people!

Still, games being the entertainment devices that they are, it's entirely up to you how much enjoyment you get out of your time with the games of your choice. You've seen posts on other boards on this site in regards to the Atari 2600 version of Pac-Man. Yes, it's widely regarded as a terrible game, but that doesn't mean that nobody out there liked it. Plenty of people hold that game near and dear, and plenty of kids back in the day were ecstatic to get that game for their birthday, along with other "duds" like ET and Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One of my favorite games is PN03 on the Gamecube. No, the game isn't great, but I always liked its old-school shoot-'em-up feeling and randomly-generated levels. The bad press at the time of its release scared me away from it, but I picked it out of the bargain bin years later and had an absolute blast with it! I love the soundtrack, but sometimes I'll slip on the headphones and groove along with my own tunes. The game pairs perfectly with Kraftwerk and the soundtrack to Breakin', among other jams. For a "bad" game, I've spent far more time with it than other so-called "classic" Gamecube games. One of the best $10 investments I've ever made.

The best advice I can give you is to take all reviews with a grain of salt. Seriously. Use them to piece together some general thoughts and ideas about a game, but don't take any single review as "the word." Whether a game gets a 10/10 or a 2/10, try to take a step back and question the score. Usually, there's no way a game can possibly be that good or that bad, but the reviews can give you a general idea of what to expect.

I love this site, and I like a lot of the members of the community, but that doesn't mean I agree with everyone, or even agree with all of The Critic's reviews. One of my favorite games of this generation is Mutant Football League, but on this site, it got an F. An F! I'm not hurt about it, but the review did make me take a step back and laugh. Yes, the game sucks, but man, do I have an absolute riot every time I play it. The videogame equivalent of a "so bad, it's good" movie, like Samurai Cop or Miami Connection.

It's an unpopular opinion here on the Internet, but sometimes it's OK to like something that you know, deep down, is absolutely terrible. Call it a guilty pleasure, but some of the most fun you can have with any sort of entertainment media can come from something so bad that you can't pry yourself away from it. I'm not saying Bloodstained falls into that category, but usually even the worst videogames will have some redeeming qualities, or have a small fanbase that absolutely loves it, warts and all.

OK, rant's over. It's been nice talking with you tonight, Sonic. You've got a good head on your shoulders. It's fun going back and forth with you on the forums like this. Hopefully, Bloodstained will get that patch soon and you'll be able to give it a try on your Switch before you know it. I have a hunch it'll go on sale around Halloween, which is when I plan on picking it up for myself. Here's hoping!

All that stuff your wrote are great points indeed like the Banjo in Smash case on Gamefaqs is hypocritical and dumb. As for PN03 on the Gamecube, I like that game too, it not the best game in the world, but it has it own unique charm that you do not see anymore, as I would rather play a flawed but fun game that knows what it want to be rather then a dumb live service garbage game (looking at you Anthem and Fallout 76!). True I have my own guilty pleasure games and even movies and what not that I can share someday if I feel like it.

As for BloodStained Switch, I will wait till the patches come in or a complete edition once the DLC support is done for that game.

DrLitch wrote:Internet:
You are the Anonymous Keyboard warrior.

Reality/Outside Internet:
Ditch tough guy act, most likely polite, quiet and introverted around others.

30fps pffftttt. I really do not get the issue. On small screen it is not really a big deal, on big screen,you literally have to play a 60fps version right next to it. That someone makes a video or article and escalates/highly exaggerates his complaints about the Switch Bloodstained version says more about Content Creator than the game. Still though - people click, they watch,they read, racks up views, rinse and repeat.... on the other hand it is just opinions, vapid as they may be.....

I swear frame rate elites and PC Gamers are almost the same people sometimes.

Return to “Now Playing”