Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DrLitch

Re: Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

Postby DrLitch » September 28th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Heck if you want even more behind the curve tech look at the Xbox 360 and PS3 getting full fat downgraded ports like Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox 360, or Destiny 1. etc. Heck the PS Vita and 3DS got downports from the PS4/Xbox One and Wii U such as Super Smash Bros. 2014 for the 3DS, Hyrule Warriors, Yoshi's Woolly World, Valkyria Revolution for Vita, etc. Although some games got screwed over like the original Watch Dogs which looks like a 2006 last gen game because of last gen co-existing.

Some of these downports are actually entirely possible because they do not run at the same resolution and the screen size means some details can be neglected without sacrificing visual fidelity too much. Ergo the downport can be much the same game. Oh yes there is a huge difference between Yoshi's Wooly World on the WiiU and 3DS on the big screen. With emulation the 3DS looks absolutely disgusting on a 1080p screen while running at native resolution the image is miniature. You have to use image processing filters/aliasing for a 3DS to look some ways decent at 1080p. On a 3DS screen Yoshi's Wooly World looks fine. Of course the Wii U version looks great since it was designed to run on an HD/UHD TV. Pretty much a case of each device working exactly as it was intended.

The Switch does not need the graphics horsepower of a large console because it's own screen would never support the 1080p resolution that TV's do. Even if it did, GPU's require a lot of power. Ergo the hardware requirements are suited to the form. When docked the limitations are more apparent. Nintendo should have released the Switch Dock as a separate add on, with the dock having it's own dedicated GPU and extra VRAM for more textures. Nintendo could have got this to work if they implemented a Thunderbolt port or a fast equivalent. The native Tegra GPU on the tablet could be disabled when docked and enabled when undocked. I really wish Nintendo had done this. In docked mode, have Xbox One X level of graphics, easy as pie with minimal cost. In handheld mode the Nvidia Tegra is plenty powerful enough to render images for that screen. Win win all round. Have a powerful handheld device and a console that might even rival a PS5 when it eventually releases.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » September 29th, 2019, 10:24 am

Nintendo handhelds are always the most refined version of obsolete technology. It's why the Gameboy Advance ran just fast enough to do everything 3rd parties ever asked an SNES to do, except use a Sony soundchip or attempt a high resolution mode. It's why the smallest GBA cartridge is roughly the same size as the largest SNES cartridge.

It's also why the DS can use larger textures than the entire combined screen resolution can display, and it's why there's a hard limit on polygons per frame, so that nearly every game runs smooth. The system's nowhere near as powerful as an N64, but by tackling two of the N64's biggest weaknesses, games like Need for Speed: Pro Street look like top of the line late 90's PC games...running on a computer that can't handle a decent resolution or anti-aliasing, but still.

It's a formula that's always been successful in ways that more expensive hardware wasn't.

The only reason the Switch seems ridiculously underpowered, other than the fact that it really is, is because Nintendo learned they need ports, so they've given 3rd parties free reign to attempt whatever they can imagine.

So now we're in an ecosystem similar to the original Gameboy, where a port of Streetfighter 2 technically exists on the dot matrix screen, but you should ask for something more reasonable like Battle Arena Toshinden and Killer Instinct instead.

You can learn everything you need to know about porting a AAA experience to an obsolete handheld by looking at the complete failure of the easiest game to port out of the three.

Unfortunately, it seems like gamers are the ones who didn't learn their lesson this time.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 2nd, 2019, 9:01 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Some of these downports are actually entirely possible because they do not run at the same resolution and the screen size means some details can be neglected without sacrificing visual fidelity too much. Ergo the downport can be much the same game. Oh yes there is a huge difference between Yoshi's Wooly World on the WiiU and 3DS on the big screen. With emulation the 3DS looks absolutely disgusting on a 1080p screen while running at native resolution the image is miniature. You have to use image processing filters/aliasing for a 3DS to look some ways decent at 1080p. On a 3DS screen Yoshi's Wooly World looks fine. Of course the Wii U version looks great since it was designed to run on an HD/UHD TV. Pretty much a case of each device working exactly as it was intended.

The Switch does not need the graphics horsepower of a large console because it's own screen would never support the 1080p resolution that TV's do. Even if it did, GPU's require a lot of power. Ergo the hardware requirements are suited to the form. When docked the limitations are more apparent. Nintendo should have released the Switch Dock as a separate add on, with the dock having it's own dedicated GPU and extra VRAM for more textures. Nintendo could have got this to work if they implemented a Thunderbolt port or a fast equivalent. The native Tegra GPU on the tablet could be disabled when docked and enabled when undocked. I really wish Nintendo had done this. In docked mode, have Xbox One X level of graphics, easy as pie with minimal cost. In handheld mode the Nvidia Tegra is plenty powerful enough to render images for that screen. Win win all round. Have a powerful handheld device and a console that might even rival a PS5 when it eventually releases.

For the first point you are not wrong as that why downports today are more doable then back then.

For the second point, a dock add on is questionable, but a handheld device to rival PS5 is possible as Nvidia Tegra Orin code name could go up to 7 TFLOPS more then Xbox One X.

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Nintendo handhelds are always the most refined version of obsolete technology. It's why the Gameboy Advance ran just fast enough to do everything 3rd parties ever asked an SNES to do, except use a Sony soundchip or attempt a high resolution mode. It's why the smallest GBA cartridge is roughly the same size as the largest SNES cartridge.

It's also why the DS can use larger textures than the entire combined screen resolution can display, and it's why there's a hard limit on polygons per frame, so that nearly every game runs smooth. The system's nowhere near as powerful as an N64, but by tackling two of the N64's biggest weaknesses, games like Need for Speed: Pro Street look like top of the line late 90's PC games...running on a computer that can't handle a decent resolution or anti-aliasing, but still.

It's a formula that's always been successful in ways that more expensive hardware wasn't.

The only reason the Switch seems ridiculously underpowered, other than the fact that it really is, is because Nintendo learned they need ports, so they've given 3rd parties free reign to attempt whatever they can imagine.

So now we're in an ecosystem similar to the original Gameboy, where a port of Streetfighter 2 technically exists on the dot matrix screen, but you should ask for something more reasonable like Battle Arena Toshinden and Killer Instinct instead.

You can learn everything you need to know about porting a AAA experience to an obsolete handheld by looking at the complete failure of the easiest game to port out of the three.

Unfortunately, it seems like gamers are the ones who didn't learn their lesson this time.

To me the GBA was SNES meats the Sega 32X without some of the bottlenecks and weakness like no half transparency on 32X, slowdowns on SNES, etc.

DS was better at framerate then the N64 thanks to better optimized hardware despite being less powerful.

One the topic of downporting for less demanding and more demanding take SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy vs MK11 and Dragon Ball FighterZ, SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy looks like a HD PS2 game yet it runs very poorly on Switch which is inexcusable for a 2.5D fighting game. As MK11 and Dragon Ball FighterZ are more demanding and far better ported on Switch with the much needed 60FPS target like it should be and mind you MK11 is using UE3 still and that ancient tech by today standards. And Dragon Ball FighterZ is UE4 with a 60FPS target along with Samurai Shodown 2019. So that why people are so puzzled in why Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is such a disappointing port on Switch. And for Game Boy Streetfighter 2 it ran jerky compared to Killer Instinct Game Boy which runs at a smooth 60FPS shows that demands don't mean everything without optimization.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 4th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:For the second point, a dock add on is questionable, but a handheld device to rival PS5 is possible as Nvidia Tegra Orin code name could go up to 7 TFLOPS more then Xbox One X.

Dang that is one heck of a powerful mobile GPU. I heard in the grapevine the PS5 gpu is going to based around the Radeon 5700XT (although likely running lower power and lower clocks than the desktop version) with CPU pretty much a downclocked Ryzen 2700X. If a Switch upgrade uses the Tegra Orin Nintendo would definitely be getting all AAA content as well as everything else. Add their exclusives and more lax censorship Nintendo might end up being a primary console rather than secondary.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 5th, 2019, 2:19 am

DrLitch wrote:
Dang that is one heck of a powerful mobile GPU. I heard in the grapevine the PS5 gpu is going to based around the Radeon 5700XT (although likely running lower power and lower clocks than the desktop version) with CPU pretty much a downclocked Ryzen 2700X. If a Switch upgrade uses the Tegra Orin Nintendo would definitely be getting all AAA content as well as everything else. Add their exclusives and more lax censorship Nintendo might end up being a primary console rather than secondary.

Could be someday, and in fact it would make more sense to go to either Xavier or more preferably Orin for the better NM size.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 13th, 2019, 6:32 pm

Getting pretty deep into this now, and I have noticed a few technical glitches.

When you jump up into another screen, the screen will sometimes black out for a few seconds. Not a big deal for 5 seconds, but later in the game it takes so long I thought the whole thing had locked up.

Also, after pausing the game I returned to see the message "the software has closed because there was an error. WTF

Otherwise I really like it.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 13th, 2019, 8:14 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Getting pretty deep into this now, and I have noticed a few technical glitches.

When you jump up into another screen, the screen will sometimes black out for a few seconds. Not a big deal for 5 seconds, but later in the game it takes so long I thought the whole thing had locked up.

Also, after pausing the game I returned to see the message "the software has closed because there was an error. WTF

Otherwise I really like it.

A update could help but still should have not had that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 14th, 2019, 6:54 pm

Oh dear. This game crashed at a bad time. I'm going to have to start taking off letter grades now.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 14th, 2019, 7:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Oh dear. This game crashed at a bad time. I'm going to have to start taking off letter grades now.

I managed to play through the Switch version without anything major going down - main gripes being slowdown and input lag. I presume you keep your Switch up to date and connected to WiFi. After searching the web you are not the only one that has/is having a frustrating experience on the Switch with this one. Pity really, the whole hook behind console gaming is everyone should have the same experience - a consistent platform.

Edit - Addendum to save on making a follow up post:
Before knocking lumps out of this one in a review, be sure to play the PS4 version. This game is really about as good as the Metroidvania's on the GBA/DS. I thought it was around Aria/Dawn of Sorrow level with perhaps a few more game design flaws. One major flaw it shares with Symphony of the Night is once you get that sword that rapidly strikes enemies, a fairly challenging game is rendered an absolute cakewalk and you can button mash through it.
Last edited by DrLitch on October 14th, 2019, 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 14th, 2019, 7:17 pm

DrLitch wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Oh dear. This game crashed at a bad time. I'm going to have to start taking off letter grades now.

I managed to play through the Switch version without anything major going down - main gripes being slowdown and input lag. I presume you keep your Switch up to date and connected to WiFi. After searching the web you are not the only one that has/is having a frustrating experience on the Switch with this one. Pity really, the whole hook behind console gaming is everyone should have the same experience - a consistent platform.

If that was the case, they should have delayed and released the Switch port in November when the two supposed bigfix patches come in as it clear the Switch port is not ready for prime time based on the fact now critic is suffering the issues that everyone has been complaining about the port.

Return to “Now Playing”