Raging Justice (Switch)

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Raging Justice (Switch)

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 18th, 2019, 10:39 pm

This game is a TRIP! It basks in every Streets of Rage, Double Dragon, side-scrolling beat em up trope to emerge from the 80's. You fight stereotypical punk rockers and trashy ladies. The moves are pretty elaborate and there are weapons galore.

At first the semi-digital appearance turned me off, but I got used to the style and really enjoyed the game. I really need to run it by the wife who is a longtime Streets of Rage fan.

I wish there were more games like this...

Sonicx9

Re: Raging Justice (Switch)

Postby Sonicx9 » July 18th, 2019, 10:48 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This game is a TRIP! It basks in every Streets of Rage, Double Dragon, side-scrolling beat em up trope to emerge from the 80's. You fight stereotypical punk rockers and trashy ladies. The moves are pretty elaborate and there are weapons galore.

At first the semi-digital appearance turned me off, but I got used to the style and really enjoyed the game. I really need to run it by the wife who is a longtime Streets of Rage fan.

I wish there were more games like this...

Critic, if you want a game similar to it, please check out 99VIDAS - DEFINITIVE EDITION which got physical via Strictly Limited Games, only problem is it sold out and you have to pay by scalepers on ebay more expensive or email for a wait list later on critic.

velcrozombie

Re: Raging Justice (Switch)

Postby velcrozombie » July 18th, 2019, 11:43 pm

Looks like fun - I'll have to check it out one day. The graphics remind me a bit of Pit FIghter - they look a bit primitive but they bring back a lot of nostalgic vibes because of that (which I'm sure they were going for).

VideoGameCritic wrote:I wish there were more games like this...

There's a game called The Takeover that's already available in on Steam in Early Access that will be coming to the Switch and PS4 supposedly sometime this year (a release date is not currently available):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnpWpq-LdNU

It's basically Streets of Rage 4 - except that it's a one-man project that was in development for years before the actual SoR4 was announced. Graphics are a bit rough (more "digital" than I'd like) but it looks fine considering the circumstances. There are also a few new wrinkles in the formula with firearms and some old-school arcade driving and flying sections. I have no idea if a physical release is planned at this time.

If you do use Steam or GOG.com, there's another old-school brawler that I played a few months ago called Fight'N Rage that's worth a look. The graphics are much more cartoonish (somewhere between the 16-bit TMNT/Battletoads games and Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World: The Game in style), there can be up to three simultaneous players and there's a lot of additional content (new characters, costumes, etc.) that unlocks as you play the game. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any plans for a console port at this time (like The Takeover, it was made by a very small team).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2ujLI3FgQY
Last edited by velcrozombie on July 18th, 2019, 11:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Now Playing”