Super Mario Odyssey

Tell us about games you are currently playing. "Quick hit" reviews.
DotNetWolf

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Postby DotNetWolf » October 29th, 2019, 6:50 am

Voor wrote:Been playing some New Super Mario, and man, is it by far my least favorite. I hate the physics, don’t like Mario’s extra moves, and the graphics are ugly.

Which New Super Mario Bros. game are you referring to? I will admit the Wii, Wii U and Switch games are pretty mediocre in terms of giving you that classic 2-D gameplay. The power-ups are decent but they either get too underutilized or just plain break half the levels by cheesing it. If you want to play a Mario game that plays in this format but is genuinely great, play New Super Mario Bros. on the original DS. In my opinion, the original DS game is very underrated in how it introduces the classic 2-D Mario formula with a twist. The power-ups are also used pretty effectively in respect to the overall the level design. Just having additional power-ups on standby and activating them with the touch screen can grant you a great deal of service in case a level is besting you. Best of all, no extra moves or tricks other than the wall jump and the triple jump that you might end up not using anyways.

DotNetWolf

Re: Super Mario Odyssey

Postby DotNetWolf » October 29th, 2019, 7:02 am

DrLitch wrote:Super Mario 2 was awesome. It had a fantastic base game to work itself around called Doki Doki Panic.

That said, hard to put it above 3 or SMW in the pecking order but certainly a better game than the originally intended sequel which was just more of what we saw in the original SM.

I second this BIG TIME. Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) was pretty experimental with it's gameplay. Heck, I remember being dumbfounded by the fact I spent five minutes trying to get Mario to stomp on the Shy Guys only to discover that these guys just needed to be picked up and thrown at each other.

Super Mario Bros. 3 on the other hand had a lot to work with and was the first Mario game I ever completed in it's entirety! The platforming, brilliant level design, utilization of power ups. There's too many great things about 3 for me to list off that improves the original game in every aspect.

Return to “Now Playing”